My Prussian Guard M1915 EM Shako

RON

Migrating my Shako here...

It all started with what was most likely a War Bond shako shell in unissued condition and dated for 1916. The seller kept on reducing its price until he reached an acceptable one given the missing parts. It was in close to pristine condition however it's finish is matte instead of glossy like most other Shakos out there including Brian's and I have no idea why :-k
PrussianGardeEMShakoM1915e.jpg

The hunt then started for a Prussian feldzeichen and a chinstrap (I already had a Reichs cockade in matching/pristine condition). Luckily enough, I was quick to find the feldzeichen, for an acceptable price and from a trustworthy source (Tony Cowan).
PrussianEMShakoFeldzeichenFieldBadgeuptoM1915_zpsf3a344d8.jpg

While waiting to find a nice original leather M15 chinstrap ( [-o< ), I borrowed one of my pickelhaube's for the photo shoot:
Caps-PrussianGuardEMShakoM1915-1916a_zps1a4ebbfa.jpg
Caps-PrussianGuardEMShakoM1915-1916c_zps1041ab2f.jpg

Caps-PrussianGuardEMShakoM1915-1916b_zps6e7e8d1c.jpg

PrussianGardeEMShakoM1915g.jpg

Prussian%20Garde%20EM%20Shako%20M1915-1916t_zpswcjodv2v.jpg

Prussian%20Garde%20EM%20Shako%20M1915-1916w_zps0gfx6tsj.jpg

PrussianGardeEMShakoM1915j.jpg

PrussianGardeEMShakoM1915i.jpg

PrussianGarde-InfanterieEMPickelhaubeampGardeEMShakoM1915a_zps996f6acc.jpg

Very nice and its certainly worthwhile to wait for and invest in orginal parts to complete your shako or haube :D

Regards,

Edwin

Thank you gentlemen!
Edwin: It'll be quite tough to find a good M15 chinstrap though...
Hey Brian, so why is mine matte/non-glossy?

Happy Easter to all!

I have no clue Ron...matte would be less reflective out in the field. Any evidence of an uberzug being used? Some times the cloth leaves marks in the finish turning it into a type of matte. Happy Easter as well!!

Hey Brian,
No evidence of this ever been issued/worn, let alone having a Uberzug on.
Maybe this process (varnishing?) only happened upon issuing the hat to specific units for instance?
Who knows. There is no doubt mine is original yet I find it weird that the same hat from the same manufacturer had different finishings... Oh well!

yet I find it weird that the same hat from the same manufacturer had different finishings...

I agree. I actually put these pictures into an article I've never finished. As helmets go through the system it seems as though the lacquer is baked on first and then as it is finished the metal pieces are put on. It's almost like yours missed an early step.
laquer oven by joerookery, on Flickr

leather rough shape by joerookery, on Flickr

Ronny,

IMO your Tschako was shiny too when it was produced, but has aged to a matte finish over time. I have two Pickelhauben from 1896, one still shines as if produced yesterday, and the other looks very similar to your Tschako. I think the leather thickness/quality has a lot to do with that, as the Pickelhaube that remained shiny is made from very thick (the grommets for the Wappen cover the leather only just) and hard leather. Metal Ersatz Pickelhauben that were covered with the shiny lacquer (as used on the leather Pickelhauben) typically show little or no aging of the lacquer.

Brian,

Thanks for those production pictures, very nice to see the production steps. =D>

Lars

Most paints and lacquers of the time were shinny. Even today it requires an additive to them to flatten the finish. Storage conditions, handling, tanning chemicals may all effect what happens to the finish over the years.

BTW- cool pics. Love seeing how they were made.

Joe posted some cool production photos indeed.

Lars and aicusv, you're probably right. My shako must've aged differently than Brian's despite the fact they're the same age and originate from the same "oven"/manufacturer.

A very nice one Ron! I wouldn't worry about being glossy or not... It's an original and it's in superb condition. Congratulations!

Adler

Yes credit for pics goes to Joe, I love seeing them actually being made/assembled. I believe the process went....shell and side reinforcements, application and baking of finish, liner, visors then all fittings applied. The side posts (M91) would get in the way of the OR liner being stitched inside out around the rim of the shell. From experience, I know they get in the way when I stitch in my repro liners. You can see..2nd pic on the right, all fittings have been put on except for wappen.

aicusv said:
Most paints and lacquers of the time were shinny. Even today it requires an additive to them to flatten the finish. Storage conditions, handling, tanning chemicals may all effect what happens to the finish over the years.

BTW- cool pics. Love seeing how they were made.

Agreed and also agreed with Adler. Various conditions will affect a helmet in different ways. Heat, cold, damp, sunlight, etc. it's still a 100% original, nice looking helmet.

:D Ron

Back