PrussianJgerzuPferdeMountedLightInfantryEMMetalhelmeM1915-1916m-1.jpg

PrussianJgerzuPferdeMountedLightInfantryEMMetalhelmeM1915-1916p.jpg

PrussianJgerzuPferdeMountedLightInfantryEMMetalhelmeM1915-1916q.jpg

PrussianJgerzuPferdeMountedLightInfantryEMMetalhelmeM1915-1916o.jpg

PrussianJgerzuPferdeMountedLightInfantryEMMetalhelmeM1915-1916k.jpg

PrussianJgerzuPferdeMountedLightInfantryEMMetalhelmeM1915-1916m.jpg

PrussianCavalryEMPickelhaubeKokardenCockadesM1891b.jpg

GermanSpitzenSpikes-JgerzuPferdeEMMetalhelmevsInfantryEMPickelhaubeM1915.jpg

While giving my helmet the occasional dusting, I took a closer look at what I first thought to be random scratches to the inner lobster tail, near the liner's rim.
Seems like a hand-engraved 'Goch' to me.
Could it be the original owner's name? Does it sound like a German family name to you? [-o<
Here's a couple of closeups:
PrussianJgerzuPferdeMountedLightInfantryEMMetalhelmeM1915-1916s.jpg

PrussianJgerzuPferdeMountedLightInfantryEMMetalhelmeM1915-1916t.jpg

Ron who knows what that is or when it was put there. Did you find those pictures of the measurement somewhere or did you make them yourself?

V/R
Joe

Hey Joe!
I found the side-by-side photo of the spikes on the net to which I added the red caption and measurements since I got 2 JZP spikes for benchmarking with my line spikes.
As for the cockades, it's all homemade.
Please feel free to use both if needed.

Are the M15 Kurassier OR spikes supposed to be taller like the JzP posted by Ronny ?

Nice looking helmet! I think an original owner would have painted his name as they did with other helmets, rather than scratching it in.

https://www.houseofnames.com/goch-family-crest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:D Ron

You're probably right Ron.
Maybe it was the soldier who brought it back home or a future owner...

Ronny,

Thanks for the comparison of the spikes. I have always felt that there was something not quite right with the spike on the first Pickelhaube I ever had, a 1915 model refurbished by L.I.A. XVIII. It looks like peak and neck-guard had been replaced by Vulkanfiber ones but slightly misaligned, which I blamed for the impression I got about the spike.

The comparison picture prompted me to unscrew that spike and another M1915 one, and take the following picture. The difference isn't as pronounced though :-k

Lars13 said:
Ronny,

Thanks for the comparison of the spikes. I have always felt that there was something not quite right with the spike on the first Pickelhaube I ever had, a 1915 model refurbished by L.I.A. XVIII. It looks like peak and neck-guard had been replaced by Vulkanfiber ones but slightly misaligned, which I blamed for the impression I got about the spike.

The comparison picture prompted me to unscrew that spike and another M1915 one, and take the following picture. The difference isn't as pronounced though :-k

Ronny, Agreed.

"Lars 13",
I measured these spikes on the screen and the 'shorter' spike on right has a taller 'cone' than on the left. The shorter throat of the one on the right makes it shorter. Interesting. I'd bet Brian or somebody who works on helmets could shed some light on these two.

:D Ron

Hey guys,
I think Lars' spikes are both Infantry as the difference is not significant enough both in base height, overall height or cone shape. But I could be wrong of course.
The comparison photo I had posted above is something I found on the net to which I added rounded dimensions after checking my own 2 JZP spikes--remember, one of these came with my Prussian Guard Infantry M1915 and I could tell from the start that it looked wrong so I bought a correct spike for it (from Brian).
I had taken my own benchmarking photos but they didn't look as nice as the net's.
To make a long story short, here are my own photos which clearly highlight the difference between M1915 JZP and Infantry spikes. I would guess M15 Kuerassier are also longer than their Infantry counterparts...

GermanInfantryEMPickelhaubeSpitzeSpikevsPrussianJgerzuPferdeEMMetalhelmeSpitzenSpikesM1915a.jpg

GermanInfantryEMPickelhaubeSpitzeSpikevsPrussianJgerzuPferdeEMMetalhelmeSpitzenSpikesM1915b.jpg

Ronny,

You're probably right; the height and shape of my spike are much closer to the "standard" M15 spike than to your JzP spikes. My Pickelhaube however looks much better without the slightly odd spike, so I'm leaving it off :D

By the way, these metal helmets are not really my thing, but this one with the black body and grey fittings is a real stunner. Thanks for showing it.

Lars

I think this is a great photo study! Quite a comparison and differences I have not noticed previously. Good job guys.

Excellent helme Ronny....I am thinking that one was in the NYC pyramid pic which James has...a beautiful example. Regarding the spike issue, just a reminder, of what we have found before...at this time, different manufacturers did their own thing. There were regulations and then there was the reality of what we find in our collections...uniformity was not universal at this time. A very valuable foto comparison gentlemen, thank you.

Very nice Helmet with this type eagle. I have one in the same condition but with the Prussian Line eagle. Why the two types of Eagles? Mine also has an Officers liner EM strap, proper spike and Large round things. :D I did notice the chinstrap is several cm longer than a Spike helmet type as to be expected? I have seen many helmets with the short strap that is very much out of place? I have owned a few of these helmets and all have had the shorter strap. Just a few questions from a guy who only collects EM Pickles. I will show it to James this Fall at the Local MN show.
Thanks for any help.
Jerry

Unlike with the pickelhaube ,the chinstrap of the lobster-tail helmet was used all the time.
If the strap is unable to reach the chin ;you are dealing with a replacement.
US found bond helmets often have replacements or switched parts.

Looking at the photo it appears that the spike may have been removed to pack them in the box.

Back