My Saxon Infantry Officer Pickelhaube

What a beauty! And with the extremely tall spike too. I have a Prussian Infantry officer helemt with a spike like it, also very tall.
A very nice helmet, congratulations!

Regards, Coert.

You did well, amazing condition! That spike shows why regulations were changed to limit the height of that particular fitting. 👍

Thanks a lot for your comments, I must admit that we are lucky to live in a nice place with such a view !

Hi Pawel

This saxon has a tall spike which I like but the front visor, I have doubts. Saxon officers have front visors that are more angular rather than round. I am not sure if there is exception made though.

As for the threads, I use black cotton thread that has the same thickness as the original.

Regards
Amy Bellars

Hi Pawel

This saxon has a tall spike which I like but the front visor, I have doubts. Saxon officers have front visors that are more angular rather than round. I am not sure if there is exception made though.

As for the threads, I use black cotton thread that has the same thickness as the original.

Regards
Amy Bellars
Not necessarily Amy. Thus front visor is correct for helmets from 1894 and later.
Until 1894, the clothing regulations state " Vorderschirm mit abgerundeten Ecken" (front visor with rounded corners). From 1894 on, however, Saxon officer helmets were pretty much identical to Prussian officer helmets and the front visor is prescribed "mit stark abgerundeten Ecken" (with strongly rounded corners). Another difference between helmets before 1894 and later is that the visors were attached pointing straight down (like the first helmet).This wasn’t mentioned after 1894 anymore. The regulation from 1872 and 1894 are available online and I have linked them on my website:
I have also clothing regulations for Saxon officers from 1904 and 1912 and they also prescribe the front visors with „strongly rounded corner“. Unfortunately I have not the copyright to make them public.

Last edited:
Back