My second Haube! Your expert opinion please...

aterrasse

Dear All,

I am new in the world of pickelhaubes but keen to learn fast.

This is my second haube, a Saxon M15 for your kind review. The helmet has a very good shape and a nice solid liner. The original nonserrated kokarden are also present. The helmet has its original chinstrap. The dome is dated 1916 but there is no unit marking.

I am very happy with this new piece but I would still love to have your comments.

Very best to you All

Alex

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_1361.jpg

IMG_1350.jpg

Here is a close up of the Sachen kokarde

IMG_1357.jpg

Alex,

Excellent choice! Nice original and complete Saxon M15s are hard to come by and yours looks complete and in great shape.

My suggestion: Look very closely for the unit and manufacturers marks. Don't be satisfied wtih your initial impression that there are no markings. Some techniques to try:
- Flash hi-res photos of the rear visor, sometimes shows up a marking that you couldn't see with the naked eye.
- Get yourself a UV light from a local electronics store, it will also bring out some markings, particularly painted marks.
- Natural sunlight - try taking your helmet outside briefly and looking at the rear visor
I have had great success in finding unit markings and owners names on uniforms and helmets using these techniques. Often the previous owners have not even seen the markings. If you happened to find a 'JR 100' or similar it will boost its value substantially.

Mike

flasheart said:
Alex,

Excellent choice! Nice original and complete Saxon M15s are hard to come by and yours looks complete and in great shape.

My suggestion: Look very closely for the unit and manufacturers marks. Don't be satisfied wtih your initial impression that there are no markings. Some techniques to try:
- Flash hi-res photos of the rear visor, sometimes shows up a marking that you couldn't see with the naked eye.
- Get yourself a UV light from a local electronics store, it will also bring out some markings, particularly painted marks.
- Natural sunlight - try taking your helmet outside briefly and looking at the rear visor
I have had great success in finding unit markings and owners names on uniforms and helmets using these techniques. Often the previous owners have not even seen the markings. If you happened to find a 'JR 100' or similar it will boost its value substantially.

Mike

Hi Mike,

You were right! There is plenty of other marking in that helmet which can be seen in natural lighting. Unfortunately, some of this marking is very difficult to read and I guess I will need to try your UV light solution.

I'll keep you informed of the develoment! I love Haubes!!
Best wishes to you All

Alex,

To assist in interpreting the markings, take a look at Joe's site www.pickelhauben.net. Also, you can take some photos of the markings and post them on this thread. Folks here will help you to interpret.

Mike

Thanks Mike!

I have a primer on these marks at
http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/DepotMarks.htm

All of this knowledge is constantly developing -- we have lists now. We have learned a lot -- and really it was Brian who kept beating a drum that we needed to do this. Years ago nobody knew what a depot Mark was -- now we all use them to help verify the authenticity of the relic. Part of the problem with the marks is that they are being faked constantly. I'm about to post an article on 2 30-year-old fakes and both of them have marks. Many of us who were fooled earlier on in our collecting lives have learned the hard way. The great news about you is that you are looking and asking and questioning. Someday I will tell you a story about getting taken for $1500 once -- and I ran to it --

Minnesota Slim said:
Great find! I would love to see pictures of the French helmet off to the side!

I have posted some pics of the French Military police helmet in the General Headgear section for your comments.

Excellent Alex! You have a good eye for quality obviously, and that is what leads to the creation of a top notch collection. It makes no sense to spend your money on garbage no matter how much money you think that you are saving. Crappy helmets will be very hard to sell in the end and lets face it, we are just the present day curators looking after these pieces. They all will have to be resold eventually. Brian

Back