My treasure

Redlegwolf

Well, gentlemen:

After several years of working towards it, this piece was just professionally cleaned and conserved--now, I just have to think about how to display it. I suppose the next step is trying to find a garde du corps helmet, but if going after this piece was any indicator, I might need a few more deployments before the mrs. could allow it--that, or a lottery win. It's coated in microcrystalline wax, and I had thought about stripping it off and polishing it, but for now I think I will leave it as is. One thing I wish I had to complete this particular helmet is the spike, but realistically I would never display it with the spike on top anyway--and who knows, perhaps my friend will find the original spike one day.

On a side note--I have heard that company level armorers--and perhaps even individuals--might have had some sort of replating capability [as in a bottled method] to keep their items looking sharp for parade. Does anyone have more information on this?

v/r
Wolf

The shape and composition of the helmet's body is off, IMO. I've never seen a legitimate GR helmet that wasn't produced by the firm of Osang, Dresden, and their helmet shells are quite recognizable, both in shape and colour. The coppery colour and front visor shape on your helmet match those of some high-end copies I've seen. I'm sure you know it has the incorrect plate, too. Can we see a pic of the interior, and any markings?

Arran said:
The shape and composition of the helmet's body is off, IMO. I've never seen a legitimate GR helmet that wasn't produced by the firm of Osang, Dresden, and their helmet shells are quite recognizable, both in shape and colour. The coppery colour and front visor shape on your helmet match those of some high-end copies I've seen. I'm sure you know it has the incorrect plate, too. Can we see a pic of the interior, and any markings?

As I was mentioning on another post, this pinkish colour is typical of recently polished tombak.
Bruno

911car said:
Arran said:

As I was mentioning on another post, this pinkish colour is typical of recently polished tombak.
Bruno

Really? I've always found that my tombac helmets look their yellowest and most "brassy" when freshly polished, and only take on that reddish hue once oxidized...

I feel that this helmet has the same style body, just with different mounts:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fine-Copy-Royal-Saxon-Horse-Guard-Regiment-Officer-Parade-Helmet-/161273627741?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item258ca8445d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well, like I had mentioned--it has recently undergone professional restoration; and was buffed/shined by a trained restorationist and curator. My question was whether or not I would continue to shine it as those displayed in so many museums are, or whether I should let it age. I won't be able to make it to SoS this year, but I may give this to my friend to bring to let people see.

v/r
Wolf-Ekkehard

Arran said:
911car said:
Arran said:

Bruno

Really? I've always found that my tombac helmets look their yellowest and most "brassy" when freshly polished, and only take on that reddish hue once oxidized...

Well it probably depends on the copper/zinc ratio used, which is as you know variable. I agree with you that the reddish (I would even say orange) nice hue of tombak comes with oxidation, but in my experience, freshly polished tombak is rather pinkish in colour. I once found a 1867 GdC helmet "out of the woodwork", from a farm in southwestern France. The shell was dented and this time I had no choice but having it professionally rectified, which comes with deep polishing. I remember the colour was the same as that of the helmet pictured on this post. I will try to show pictures.
Bruno

Stunning restoration. I always love that frosted silver effect.

I don't feel qualified to comment on authenticity, but in terms of desirability - you have a very special piece there my friend. Enjoy it.

I have to admit that with this one picture, my first thoughts also point in the direction of fake. The new silver also doens't look that good. On the other hand, it can look so much better with the right pictures taken under the right angle.
If you want good and honest comments, you have to provide more pictures... not only more, but also better...
Hope this turns out as an original!

Adler

To be honest i have my doubts to but maybe more pictures can tell more lets hope its a good one they are beautiful helmets.

I only have one question. Is the cape (lobster tail) one piece or segmented, made from several pieces joined by the rivets?

:D Ron

#-o I thought this was good advice …

http://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9101" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Poniatowski--the cape is several pieces riveted together--as I undertstand it, only newer helmet models were the one piece segments. Guys, I have to apologize in that I won't be able to post photos myself until I make it home, and I'm dependent on those taken by my restorationist.

Wolf,

So this is the prize you mentioned in your last email. What is the provenance? Are you O/S yet? Hope sell is well.

Steve

Just curious, did you go to Turner, Laughlin & cie for the restoration? I have a GdC helmet with them now...

Back