MY TWO LATEST FIND - ONE AT A TIME

Amybellars

Fd0VQeX.jpg

6coD9Xg.jpg

Haven't studied it thoroughly.
Two sets of holes, someone cut a side for the guard and the guard plate has been there for a long while.
The hole punch at the two of the liner fingers is interesting.

:eek: :eek: OH nono, there is no hole punch on the liner fingers, there is indeed hole punch on liner fingers on the other felt helmet that I have listed separately. Sorry got them mixed up. 8-[

Nice find! But as said, you should leave at least some helmets for the rest of us Amy! :wink:

Congratulations on your 2 very nice latest additions! :bravo: :bravo:

Greets, Coert. :thumb up:

Cmon guys, you guys hide treasures and have not been posting all your finds. I found the forum a tad quiet so am here to inject some life.

Thats not an easy one to find seems amy is on the run who is there to stop here 🤣🤣

Jonas

Congratulations Amy!
I saw one of these once, many years ago, but did not buy it.
It was in the days before the internet and some "expert" told me that they never used stitched leather around the bottom edge of a felt or cloth Pickelhaube.
I could kick myself for believing some of the advice I heard in the past.
The words never and always don't apply very well in this hobby --- there are "always" exceptions!

John :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

SkipperJohn said:
Congratulations Amy!
I saw one of these once, many years ago, but did not buy it.
It was in the days before the internet and some "expert" told me that they never used stitched leather around the bottom edge of a felt or cloth Pickelhaube.
I could kick myself for believing some of the advice I heard in the past.
The words never and always don't apply very well in this hobby --- there are "always" exceptions!

John :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Indeed. Our hobby is always full of surprises. I learn more from this forum than the books. Thank you Brian for hosting this forum. \:D/ [-o<

You are very welcome Amy, it is great to have you with us and your posts are much appreciated.

hi Amy
congratulations for this super addition to your collection
this is a very rare pickelhaube, I have the more common Prussian one.
all the best
Verdun16

SkipperJohn said:
// It was in the days before the internet and some "expert" told me that they never used stitched leather around the bottom edge of a felt or cloth Pickelhaube. //

I would agree with that person who told you that John. The fakes use leather to imitate the trim on cloth covered felt Ersatz Pickehauben which, like Amy's, is trimmed around the circumference in coated oilcloth. Never leather.

Have a close look at the trim on mine >> http://www.kaisersbunker.com/feldgrau/helmets/fgh44.htm

Tony without Kaiser said:
SkipperJohn said:
// It was in the days before the internet and some "expert" told me that they never used stitched leather around the bottom edge of a felt or cloth Pickelhaube. //

I would agree with that person who told you that John. The fakes use leather to imitate the trim on cloth covered felt Ersatz Pickehauben which, like Amy's, is trimmed around the circumference in coated oilcloth. Never leather.

Have a close look at the trim on mine >> http://www.kaisersbunker.com/feldgrau/helmets/fgh44.htm

Thanks Tony.
It has been at least 35 years (probably more like 40) since I saw the cloth covered Pickelhaube with the oil cloth edge. I remember that it was pretty pricey for a Marine's pay. The only reference book I had at the time was Colonel Rankin's. It looked exactly like the brass fitted one Verdun 16 is showing in this post. Since I do not have one in my hands, and after looking closely at the photos on this post and your website, I am not sure that I could tell the difference between leather and oilcloth. I have a Bing Ersatz that appears to have an oilcloth liner, but it is still hard for me to differentiate. How can you tell just by looking whether it's leather or cloth?
Another question --- was an oilcloth trim ever used on a standard (not cloth covered) felt Pickelhaube?

John :?

SkipperJohn said:
// Since I do not have one in my hands, and after looking closely at the photos on this post and your website, I am not sure that I could tell the difference between leather and oilcloth. I have a Bing Ersatz that appears to have an oilcloth liner, but it is still hard for me to differentiate. How can you tell just by looking whether it's leather or cloth?

John have a look closely at the oilcloth edge. You will see the texture of cloth which under the coating, which is usually worn away revealing cloth underneath. No mistaking it.

fgh44e.jpg

SkipperJohn said:
// Another question --- was an oilcloth trim ever used on a standard (not cloth covered) felt Pickelhaube? //

I can only say that I have never seen one. It appears to be specific to this particular manufacturer who covered their Filzhelm with that khaki cloth and trimmed them with oilcloth. They are scarce.

Semper fi Marine :salute:

verdun16 said:
hi Amy
congratulations for this super addition to your collection
this is a very rare pickelhaube, I have the more common Prussian one.
all the best
Verdun16

Nice one. I have not had that model yet...

Back