My wife's Souvenir of Vienna

seagull

Because life isn't just about Militaria,... My wife insisted that this nonetheless qualifies since it bears a 'Wappen'. An unexpected find at the Dorotheum on our last visit to Vienna, and a rather wistful reminder of the times just before the fall of Empires. It is one Christmas present she values more than most. Bearing the makers mark of Wilhelm Melzer, Wien VII, the survival of the programme card is unusual but surpisingly the mirror was intact and the small powder cloth was in there too.20230104_122538 (2).jpg20230104_122549 (2).jpg20230104_122936 (2).jpg20230104_123045 (2).jpg20230104_123107 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Sorry Lars, we all know that couldn't possibly be true ! My wife is very happy that something in her collection gets the thumbs up from you guys.
Seemed appropriate to post it at this time of year.

Militaria or no, I love little bits of history like this one. A beautiful piece in every way - shows why Vienna was the art capital of Europe at the time. Thanks for sharing this nifty little time capsule!

Yes Lars, for just one evening but that evening was the pinnacle of all Viennese society events. ( I think Franz Joseph was often present). They were really a souvenir for each of the ladies attending, but I have wondered if they were sold separately or included in the ticket purchase? Come to that, were tickets sold to just anyone, or allocated by committee or even the Court ? Anyone know?

What a lovely piece for your wife to find! A time capsule. I can see why she'd be thrilled to own it.

It provides a fascinating glimpse into what must have been a glittering evening during the peak of the empire.

Back