My Xmas present

Yes, I can also see now the same kind of patina with some brass reflexion on the spike section too, just above the "dards and eggs".
You´re right, that´s a nice normal stronger patina at only certain points, as sometimes seen on german silver fittings.
Once again: CONGRATS!!!! =D>
Philippe :salute:

Just a general question.

Does anyone on this forum know if Generalleutnant Friedrich "Fritz" von Friedeburg (1866 - 1933) is in any way related to General Admiral Hans-Georg von Friedeburg (1895 - 1945) ?

General Admiral Hans-Georg von Friedeburg (1895 - 1945) and General Eberhard Kinzel visit the British camp on Luneburg Heath to sign the Instrument of Surrender of the German armed forces in Holland, north-west Germany and Denmark at the end of World WarWurttemberg

GermancapitulationsignedbyAlfredJodlHans-GeorgvonFriedeburg.jpg

An example of suicide through shame of surrender was that of Admiral von Friedeburg. He had been present at both the surrender of the German forces in the north of Germany at Lüneburg Heath and also at Reims. Placed under arrest at Flensburg with the other members of the Dönitz government, von Friedeburg chose to kill himself with a cyanide ampule in a toilet. His body was carried into his quarters and placed on a cot where it was photographed.

Friedeburg20suicide202.jpg

An interesting addition to this story is that his Knights Cross of the War Merit Cross with Swords that he was wearing around his neck (visible in one photo) at the time was removed and disappeared. An investigation was carried out by the British authorities, but the award was not returned. The British issued an official apology to Dönitz for this theft.

Friedeburg20suicide201.jpg

I only found that:
Admiral Hans-Georg von Friedeburg is burried in Adelby (Flensburg), only 15 miles of my home (!).
He was the son of General-Major a.D. (außer Dienst) Karl von Friedeburg (1862-1924). This General-Major was 1914-18 the commander of the 2. badisches Feldartillerie-Regiment 30.
The von Friedeburg family is coming from the Baden state.
The Admiral had two sons:
- Ludwig-Ferdinand (1924-2010), which was the youngest U-Boot Kommandant of the Kriegsmarine, and then after the war Soziologe and Minister in Hessen.
- Friedrich (1926-1991) , was a german reporter and was involved in the Maschinenbau-Konzern Demag AG

That´s all....Maybe were "your" Friedrich "Fritz" and Karl (father of the Admiral) brothers, one born 1866 and the other 1862...Only one hypothesis...
There also were two other von Friedeburg in the prussian army: one Leutnant in the 1st Garde Regiment zu Fuß and one Oberst, commander of the JR138. I could not find out the christian names...
However I think all belonging to the same family.
Philippe :salute:

Back