Mystery Officer Helmet

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
I am posting a series of photos sent to me this weekend from a collector contact of mine who has had this helmet for many years he would like to restore it to its original condition.. I have some thoughts on it but let's hear from our members! :)
IMG_0365.JPG
IMG_0364.JPG
IMG_0366.JPG

A Flugeladjutant's helmet from Saxe, Coburg, und Gotha! Good luck finding that plate! I assume the existing mounts are silver?

Ahhh.....a couple of punters at last! Yes Aaron, that is how I would read that label. The front visor trim and rear spine are neusilber which is correct for a Flugeadj. I Have already informed the owner that these two pieces are the original fittings because they can’t be easily removed plus any replacements for the most part will not fit. Yes T, extremely obvious to an experienced collector like yourself and totally wrong. Any comments about the brass officer spike gentleman? What about the kokarden, they look to have blue paint below the silver ring?

I do see the blue paint on the cockade, but I also think I can see some red peeking through there. Not sure what to make of it. For those interested the correct plate for this is a silver guard type eagle with "Fuerst" motto, adorned with an enamelled star of the Ernestine House Order. I have no pics of a surviving example, but rest assured, it would be beautiful!

Ernestine House Order Star

Attachments

• 15_er_1_1b.jpg
    15_er_1_1b.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 957
Back in the 80’s when I was a new collector, I was fortunate to actually handle one of these Flugeladj helmets. The interior was of very high quality with a cream coloured sweat band. Unfortunately, although all silver fittings were present plus the correct state kokarden and Officer wappen, the enamelled star on the wappen had been replaced with a Garde OR’s star.
:thumbsdown:

Back