Napoleon movie

J.LeBrasseur

Administrator
Staff member
Well I was entertained, not the best movie I ever saw, but was good. Not sure it was all accurate, but again I enjoyed it. Went with my son who just informed me that there will be a directors cut later that is another 1 1/2 hours long added to theater length of roughly 2 1/2 hours.

Wish they would have spent more time on Waterloo....

James

Thanks for the intel, How were the battle scenes? With the technology of today I have real high hopes, it really has the potential to be great.
Regards John Josef

Saw it tonight as well, with a longtime friend of mine who collects War of 1812 militaria. We both agreed that the periods of Napoleon’s life covered was too long which led to a great deal of missing events when it came to Waterloo.

Well I was entertained, not the best movie I ever saw, but was good. Not sure it was all accurate, but again I enjoyed it. Went with my son who just informed me that there will be a directors cut later that is another 1 1/2 hours long added to theater length of roughly 2 1/2 hours.

Wish they would have spent more time on Waterloo....

James
Visited the battlefields of Ligny and Waterloo and the musea last August.

Attachments

• 20230819_112025.jpg
    20230819_112025.jpg
    845.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 20230819_104445.jpg
    20230819_104445.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 33
  • 20230819_104415.jpg
    20230819_104415.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 33
  • 20230819_103648.jpg
    20230819_103648.jpg
    981.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230819_104323.jpg
    20230819_104323.jpg
    852.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
We stayed at Waterloo in 2010, hard to believe its been that long ago.

It was one of the greatest moments in my life, a childhood dream fulfilled. We even stayed at the Battlefield hotel and they put us in the Blucher suite and we had a few Waterloo Biers at a little local pub, what a great trip. Definitely want to make it back :unsure:

as most of you may know , I live in France now!...
So here is a French response on the movie;
It says ; first images of Ridley's next movie....

Attachments

• Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2023-11-26 om 09.49.09_62a419bd.jpg
    Afbeelding van WhatsApp op 2023-11-26 om 09.49.09_62a419bd.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 33
-Timeline in not complete nor correct

Thanks for the itel.

I hope to set aside some time this week to check it out.

I really looking forward to it, I'm a super fan of the Napoleonic era.

IMO so far the two best movies done on the period are The Russian version of War and Peace ( The Borodino battle scenes still blow my mind) and of course Waterloo.

Thanks for the itel.

I hope to set aside some time this week to check it out.

I really looking forward to it, I'm a super fan of the Napoleonic era.

IMO so far the two best movies done on the period are The Russian version of War and Peace ( The Borodino battle scenes still blow my mind) and of course Waterloo.
Indeed. The 1970 version!
-A scene from the movie Waterloo (1970), which used 15,000 soldiers from the Red Army to make the film, including and entire cavalry battalion...The film is most famous for its lavish battle scenes, shot on-location in Uzhhorod, Ukraine.The impact of the 15,000 authentically dressed extras, recreating the battle sections with true numbers and without special effects, is unsurpassed, and remains the highest number of costumed extras in any film.
-and those pyrotechnics!!!! The bugle calls; cavalry trumpets; fifes and drums...Turn up the volume!

Attachments

• 95yxhwx7m0i61 (1).png
    95yxhwx7m0i61 (1).png
    811.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Indeed. The 1970 version!
-A scene from the movie Waterloo (1970), which used 15,000 soldiers from the Red Army to make the film, including and entire cavalry battalion.

Never has a Russian Army looked so good, not sure if you've seen Sergei Fyodorovich Bondarchuks War and Peace but its also EPIC. And IMO a must see for anyone interested in the period.

The attention to detail is incredible and the battle scenes are just amazing.

There is a scene in the film where Napoleon is watching his Army as it crosses the Neman and the different contingents are marching past it has always amazed me to see the Grande Armee portrayed in all its glory, you can even see the Bavarians in Raupenhelms.

The Battle of Borodino is one of my personal favorites and to see it brought to life is one of my favorite moments in film , just love the Saxon Calvary as well.

His portrayal of Waterloo is right there, love the scene of Blucher when he says raise the black flag and the Prussians arrive to dare I say, save the day for the allies ;). Its the closest we will ever see to the real glory of the period, the forming of squares and the grand cavalry charges etc etc..

My point being is we will never see movies made on such a grand scale as these ever again, over 10,000 soldiers dressed in uniform and used as extras. Sadly just not gonna happen.

Last edited:
I cant help but feel a little bit disappointed with the film. Like previously mentioned i just thought Waterloo was poorly done. However, it did get me to re-watch the 1970's 'waterloo' with Steiger and Plummer again and i also dug out charge of the light brigade after that as well. I think it is great though that epics like this and all quiet on the western front are getting mainstream interest again. What next? What would you like to see in an epic war movie? For me , it has got to be the Duke of Marlborough. Malpaquet and Blenheim would make such epic scenes and his life story is so interesting even as a youth.

I was really disappointed, just another modern rewrite of history to fit with today's insane view of European History and its greatest men.

The only thing that kept me watching was to have a close look at the uniforms and equipment.

Back