NEED HELP IDENTIFYING HELMET PLATE

SHOOTEST

Am trying to get some feedback on a helmet I am planning to restore and am hoping someone might have some idea as to what plate was originally on this helmet. Here are a couple of photo's where the impression in leather can be faintly seen....THANKS FOR THE HELP !

Ok...now that I can see the additional pics....with the marks of the rays of the wappen....Saxon officer and Saxon officer M 91 kokarden. This makes things even more difficult but more valuable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plaque-de-Casque-a-Pointe-Saxe-WW1-/261901444609?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_71&hash=item3cfa8ae601" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

911car said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plaque-de-Casque-a-Pointe-Saxe-WW1-/261901444609?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_71&hash=item3cfa8ae601

Is this the proper plate for this helmet ? Is the price reasonable for this plate and is ordering from overseas safe ?
Thanks for your help I appreciate it !

It is a plate with screw attachments (not loops), which is what your helmet needs. If interested you must ask the seller what the distance between the two screws is.
The seller has thousands of + feedbacks (100 %); I would not be worried.
The price is rather on the high side....

911car said:
It is a plate with screw attachments (not loops), which is what your helmet needs. If interested you must ask the seller what the distance between the two screws is.

The seller tells me that it is 6cm between screws and my helmet holes are just under 7cm. Would it be proper to open the existing holes up a bit to accommodate this plate being it is hard to find or would this be a real No No ?
Thanks for your help !

SHOOTEST said:
911car said:

The seller tells me that it is 6cm between screws and my helmet holes are just under 7cm. Would it be proper to open the existing holes up a bit to accommodate this plate being it is hard to find or would this be a real No No ?
Thanks for your help !

Spontaneously I would say no, don't do that. On the other hand the chance to find a plate with screws at the correct distance is remote... I have seen such "adaptations" being done very cleanly, the former original holes being obturated.
And it is not only the screws; the curvature of the plate must fit the shape of the shell. In this respect the saxon plate is not the easiest one to re-shape.
In short, if I were you I would be patient and hope I will find the matching plate. Sometimes they come with the attachments gone. Then you can glue two pins and at least your helmet won't appear naked...

As this is a private purchase helmet, there are no grommets in the shell so you could carefully enlarge a little bit on both holes. Use a round file like you would use for sharpening a chain saw. This is your call however, as Bruno points out and there is still no guarantee that when you get the plate, it will fit the curvature of your shell. Very often, the holes for an officer plate are larger than the diameter of the screw posts going into them, and they are backed with tin washers on the inside. The plate you are looking at to buy has screw posts which means, that it is an older one made before they switched to loops or that it was private purchase. Either way, if it can be made to fit with a slight adjustment, it is the correct wappen for this helmet and one part of your quest has been found. In addition, since this is an OR's wappen, you can keep that OR's spike on which it came with.

b.loree said:
As this is a private purchase helmet, there are no grommets in the shell so you could carefully enlarge a little bit on both holes. Use a round file like you would use for sharpening a chain saw. This is your call however, as Bruno points out and there is still no guarantee that when you get the plate, it will fit the curvature of your shell. Very often, the holes for an officer plate are larger than the diameter of the screw posts going into them, and they are backed with tin washers on the inside. The plate you are looking at to buy has screw posts which means, that it is an older one made before they switched to loops or that it was private purchase. Either way, if it can be made to fit with a slight adjustment, it is the correct wappen for this helmet and one part of your quest has been found. In addition, since this is an OR's wappen, you can keep that OR's spike on which it came with.[/quote

Again many thanks for all of your help with this project...I went ahead and bought the plate and think I can make it work, at least I will give it a try.

SHOOTEST said:
b.loree said:
As this is a private purchase helmet, there are no grommets in the shell so you could carefully enlarge a little bit on both holes. Use a round file like you would use for sharpening a chain saw. This is your call however, as Bruno points out and there is still no guarantee that when you get the plate, it will fit the curvature of your shell. Very often, the holes for an officer plate are larger than the diameter of the screw posts going into them, and they are backed with tin washers on the inside. The plate you are looking at to buy has screw posts which means, that it is an older one made before they switched to loops or that it was private purchase. Either way, if it can be made to fit with a slight adjustment, it is the correct wappen for this helmet and one part of your quest has been found. In addition, since this is an OR's wappen, you can keep that OR's spike on which it came with.[/quote

Again many thanks for all of your help with this project...I went ahead and bought the plate and think I can make it work, at least I will give it a try.

SHOOTEST said:
SHOOTEST said:
b.loree said:

as far as i can tel from viewing the outside of the shell you dont need to replace the spike
this is the correcrt one
from looking at your pics i saw that there are 2 pics from the outside
and other member mention that you needet a officer plate
can you post aditional pics from the inside then
becose for me this is a manschafts helmet instead of an officer
i could be wrong juding the helmet but the one part you need is a leather chinstrap
and your helmet is complete again

nice project by the way

jonas

kaiser said:
as far as i can tel from viewing the outside of the shell you dont need to replace the spike
this is the correcrt one
from looking at your pics i saw that there are 2 pics from the outside
and other member mention that you needet a officer plate
can you post aditional pics from the inside then
becose for me this is a manschafts helmet instead of an officer
i could be wrong juding the helmet but the one part you need is a leather chinstrap
and your helmet is complete again

nice project by the way

jonas

Back