Need help identifying mitre plates

vhawk

O.K. these are not my "Latest Find" per se, but they are my latest finds which I have not been able to identify.
These 2 mitre plates were purchased by me from Norm Flayderman in the early '70's. Other than the obvious - one being a 17th c. British Grenadier mitre plate and the other being a 17th c. Prussian Grenadier mitre plate, Norm was unsuccessful in attributing either plate to any regiment (at least at that time).
In the past 40 years, I have also not been successful in that regard, so I'm requesting any input or advice any of you may have on these 2 items.
Thanks.
BritishGrenadiermitre_zps95e35859.jpg
PrussianGrenadierMitre_zps246694c8.jpg

Hi, I think the top mitre plate is probably Dutch rather than British although the 'Honi soit....' motto is used on British helmets. I say this because ' je maintiendrai' is the crest of the House of Orange and Nassau and the crest doesn't appear to be British e.g two lions rather than a lion and a unicorn, and the various symbols on the shield aren't ones I recognise as British. The crown isn't one I recognise either. I'm afraid I know nothing about Dutch helmets, although the lion head reminds me of the WW1Belgian Adrian helmet.

The coat of arms on the second plate looks like that of Sweden

Patrick

Yes the three crowns on the second mitre suggest Sweden. They still use that on their hockey jersey and all Swedish pickelhauben have them on the helmet plate. There looks to be an entwined FR below that cypher. Perhaps there was a Swedish Frederick which would help date this. As to the first, I totally agree with Patrick,there are no British symbols on that cypher. Think of the personal flag of the Queen which is flown when she visits Canada.....harps, fleur de lis, and lions nothing like that here.

Here's a link to the Swedish national coat of arms

http://www.ngw.nl/int/zwe/se-nat.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do any members from the Netherlands or Belgium have a view on the first plate?

I wonder if these two are rarer than British and Prussian mitre plates of the same era?

Patrick

Although I am not expert on mitres, I agree that the first one is most likely Dutch based on the lions and je maintiendrai on the wappen. These are still part of the Dutch coat of arms (see below).

Below is an example of a Dutch mitre plate

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-NZE2uuipQF0/UfdzN8wJ_jI/AAAAAAAABY4/jpoJeM1KGUc/s1600/foto%281%29.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Edwin

Back