Need help on this Pickelhaube shell

Irish Teamster

Hello All,
I'm needing help on identifying type of pickelhaube I have. I want to pick up the right parts and so forth. State? Fittings? Brass or Steel? ect...
Thanks for the help.

img0546d.jpg

img0545eo.jpg

img0543z.jpg

Usually, there's a latent imprint from the wappen, but I don't see any on this one. Any regimental/organizational markings other than the date?

Looks like brass gromits for the front plate, so start looking for brass fittings, I'd guess.

Ron

A straight-on shot from the front, as well as a measurement of the distance between the holes, would help. Look on the underside of the rear visor for markings too...

Only other mark was a faded mark in crown that I couldn't make out. Distance between holes was 2 3/4 inches which was common among Prussian plates, I believe. The visors are made from the thick fiberous material. Thank you for the help gang.

There are a couple of nice spikes in the 'for sale' section of the forums. If there are no other markings and you can't make out the maker mark (maybe photo what there is of it and I'm sure somebody will be able to ID. it. There's also a section on maker's marks on the forums.

Since it has the fiber front and back 'visors' (I didn't notice that!), then it's probably a war time arsenal rework from an M-98 type helmet. In this case, the front visor trim and such might even have been the wartime 'gray'... There are plenty of helmets with mixed furniture / fitting colors, which makes them pretty cool.
Maybe others can make suggestions here too.

Interesting shell, best of luck with the restoration, it's a good start.

:D Ron

Here is the stamp in the crown of the haube. Think it says E72. The picture of the stamp above next to the date says DEPOT I think but can't make out anything else.

img0554f.jpg

img0548w.jpg

Helmet has definately been reworked...check out the replaced fingers on the liner. If the back of the fingers are a natural colour then they are period add ons. If they are dyed black, then they are modern replacements. Modern leather is dyed on both sides. The biggest challenges here are going to be to get visor trim and rear spine to fit. B

The fingers are natural not dyed. And yes the trim is going to be a real challenge. The plate looks to be the easiest . Prussian I'm going with. Anyone think different?

Back