NEED HELP! saxon m94 pickelhaube!

Nick,

Welcome to the forum! You are doing the right thing by asking. I don't like this. It is really difficult to see in those pictures but this seems to be some sort of mix and match. I think that the chin scales are reproductions and wrong. If this was for a field artillery unit they would be rounded. They are not. If it was for a foot artillery unit it would be leather. There is only one cockade and it is on the wrong side. It is also serrated which I did not accept for Saxon helmets. The spike and base look saxon but do not make sense with this enlisted helmet. Once again the pictures are pretty small but I would definitely pass on this one. It would be most instructive to see what the markings are on the rear visor. welcome to the intricate world of checking these out! There is always a lot to learn and it never stops. Welcome again.

A second opinion is always nice and I agree 100% with Joe. The wappen (plate) looks terrible and although the 'ball' and base may be original, they're not matched to the right helmet. If it's 50 to 90 Euros, it would be a fun souvenir, otherwise, NO.
Have a Koelsch beer for me! Koeln is a beautiful city. Walk along the Rhein, burden the bridge with a lock, have fun!

:D Ron

nkumburis said:
Thank you for all your help! The hunt still continues, Im excited to find my first real one! - Nick K

If you're searching for real 'haube, there's a shop across the Rhein near Koeln, called Beck http://www.beck-militaria.de/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Also, a train trip to Hamburg will find Weitz Militaria https://www.weitze.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. (the trip to Hamburg alone is worth it!!) Remember to look in museums too, so you can start to get a feel for originals and buy books! Books and more books.

As with ALL military dealers, it's best to know what you're looking for and how to spot a helmet that's not 100% good. None are cheap and there are also some stores in Muenchen and other cities, just a little web searching or asking around will find them. I've purchased from Weitz, but not Beck's, so don't have any review for that shop, but I think Weitz's offerings look better overall. Again, you have to do your research and be confident in what you're buying, even a reputable dealer doesn't know everything and it's a caveat emptor world out there.

Also, I forgot Age of Kings. It's a very reputable site and I would buy from them with confidence. They're located (deep in the heart of) Texas.

I hope you enjoyed your bier.

On Beck's website:
Sure he has nice stuff !
But I picked out two: :-?
1st: He lists a Kü Regt Nr 2 Offz Res helmet (Wappen with the cross but.....without the Hohenfriedberg Bandeau)....
2nd: he list a Versuchshelm for the Jäger zu Pferde (marked JR 94)...meaning Infanterie Regiment 94 ...with a simple Linien Inf Wappen

Francis

Thank you again, becks is only 7 minutes from where i live in köln! Im going to try and stop by Asap. I would really like to find my first pickelhaube on my own. I like the thrill of the hunt haha. - Nick K

I'm with Francis. Personally I wouldn't buy from Beck Militaria because they make plenty of fishy errors in their descriptions and when you enquire about these, they still try to convince you that they're right and you're not. Just my opinion.

Hey thanks for all the advice, but I cant visit mr.beck regardless because he died recently, may his soul rest in peace. - Nick K

nkumburis said:
Hey thanks for all the advice, but I cant visit mr.beck regardless because he died recently, may his soul rest in peace. - Nick K

That's sad to know. Is his shop still open? I've never been there, nor bought from him, but like I said, always take your time choosing and be sure you're getting something that's correct. Just like you did with the bogus Saxon helmet, this is a good place to get opinions and advice.

http://www.beck-militaria.de/Helme-und-Kopfbedeckungen/Kaiserreich/Preussen-Tschapka-Versuchsmodell::20618.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a modern copy.

Some other warnings regarding the not so Saxe helme. I believe it to be a converted fire helme, note the extra large tin washers used in behind the spike base prongs etc. This would also account for an OR's M15 style (Undyed) liner in it. Many war surplus hauben were restored (holes plugged etc) new liners put in and fireman fittings put on. In this case, someone has put repro fittings on it to reconvert it back into a pickelhaube.

I agree. Look at the black undersides of the visors. You will never see this on a Army pickelhaube.

b.loree said:
Some other warnings regarding the not so Saxe helme. I believe it to be a converted fire helme, note the extra large tin washers used in behind the spike base prongs etc. This would also account for an OR's M15 style (Undyed) liner in it. Many war surplus hauben were restored (holes plugged etc) new liners put in and fireman fittings put on. In this case, someone has put repro fittings on it to reconvert it back into a pickelhaube.

Sorry for the delayed response, hes shop is closed and when I went past it, it looked like its been closed for a while now. - Nick K

Back