Need help with this helmet.

aqwaqwertt

Hi, I need help identifying and restoring this beautiful pickelhaube. If I am correct, this may be an officers helmet from a fire brigade in the Free State of Wurttemberg. I would also like some tips on how to prevent the spike from sagging, cleaning the brass fittings, polishing the leather, and fixing the liner. Thank you all so much for any help you give.

William (Illinois)
image8.jpegimage7.jpegimage6.jpegimage5.jpegimage4.jpegimage3.jpegimage2.jpegimage1.jpegimage0.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi, I need help identifying and restoring this beautiful pickelhaube. If I am correct, this may be an officers helmet from a fire brigade in the Free State of Wurttemberg. I would also like some tips on how to prevent the spike from sagging, cleaning the brass fittings, polishing the leather, and fixing the liner. Thank you all so much for any help you give.

William (Illinois)
View attachment 37048View attachment 37050View attachment 37051View attachment 37052View attachment 37053View attachment 37054View attachment 37055View attachment 37056View attachment 37057
As many will say the decision to restore or clean up a helmet is a personal one. How far you go is up to you. I think the liner looks pretty good and personally would not do much with it except maybe re-stitch the part at the back that has come away if you can find the right thread. The leather at the side would be tricky to do anything with. I usually clean my shells with a damp cloth and sometimes use shoe polish to make them look a bit better and fill in any marks but some would not do that. As far as cleaning brass or badges again that is a personal choice of "leave the patina" versus "polish it like a soldier might do back in the day to make it look good." Others can comment on ways to reshape and support the top and there are many threads on helmet restorations if you do a search. Good luck and nice helmet.

Last edited:
You can also find original chin scales for sale on eBay France but you would need to confirm what kind for this helmet. You could also probably find a star to replace the ones that are missing there.

Last edited:
Back