Need some help on this Hessian Pickelhaube.

Winodog

I have had this Pickelhaube in my collection for decades, but I don’t know what it is?
Can anyone help?

Attachments

• 6913076E-EF73-4CF9-937A-2B0BE7DA4300.jpeg
    6913076E-EF73-4CF9-937A-2B0BE7DA4300.jpeg
    520.9 KB · Views: 93
  • BAAA98F8-3F66-4F7D-95D9-B6268704A91E.jpeg
    BAAA98F8-3F66-4F7D-95D9-B6268704A91E.jpeg
    499.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 3E6F0686-9968-4DE6-85E9-F5719D981447.jpeg
    3E6F0686-9968-4DE6-85E9-F5719D981447.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 63
The helmet itself is a Prussian kurassier helmet. The Hessen front plate does not belong on it.

OK. That’s what I feared. Doesn’t matter though . I have several others.
maybe somebody is interested in the parts?

You have a complete pre war OR’s helmet there, all you need to do is find the correct Prussian kurassier plate for it. You could easily sell the Hessian plate here on the forum. We also have a parts wanted section so someone may sell you the correct plate.

You have a complete pre war OR’s helmet there, all you need to do is find the correct Prussian kurassier plate for it. You could easily sell the Hessian plate here on the forum. We also have a parts wanted section so someone may sell you the correct plate.
Thanks for the advice, but I will try to sell it as it is. I’m sure there are plenty of capable handymen here at the forum that will enjoy the effort.

The Chin scales that are currently on this helmet are for a leather pickelhaube helmet, specifically for mounted troops (Artillery, Train Batallion) and are not the correct Cavalry style of chin scales for this enlisted man's helmet.

Looks like someone re-painted underside of visors on this helmet interior with John Deere Green Paint.

I'm curious why the outer shell of this helmet has been blued or darkened. It should be polished steel.

It also looks like there's a need for some domed threaded screws for the spike base when I see the 2-thin split brad wire ones from viewing the interior of helmet photo.

There is a nice incorrect Bavarian enlisted kokarde on this helmet as well, shown in the excellent photos.

Best Regards,

Alan

Yes är ifrån Sverige
Gi Meg beskjed hvis du vil kjøpe denne. Det er en amerikaner Som også er interessert. Er det noe annet du er interessert i? Jeg skal selge deler av samlingen min. Har mest Britisk, men også mye Tysk, fransk, svensk mm.

Hello,
As said, Prussian cuirassier helmet Model 89/94 (round visor, side post 91-94) maker's mark from Berlin.
But, it is a composite piece. Repainted in black, on top, and green underneath. Chinstrap with scales of man mounted except Kurassier M94 and Jäger zu Pferde M1905, rivets of attachment of point not in conformity, and plate Hessian fancy, which has nothing to do on this helmet.
On the other hand, it is easy to restore its authentic aspect, in particular by polishing the shell, by affixing the good cuirassier eagle, the good chinstrap (rare in spare parts), and the good roundels.

Hello,
As said, Prussian cuirassier helmet Model 89/94 (round visor, side post 91-94) maker's mark from Berlin.
But, it is a composite piece. Repainted in black, on top, and green underneath. Chinstrap with scales of man mounted except Kurassier M94 and Jäger zu Pferde M1905, rivets of attachment of point not in conformity, and plate Hessian fancy, which has nothing to do on this helmet.
........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Thanks for the repeat synopsis.

Gi Meg beskjed hvis du vil kjøpe denne. Det er en amerikaner Som også er interessert. Er det noe annet du er interessert i? Jeg skal selge deler av samlingen min. Har mest Britisk, men også mye Tysk, fransk, svensk mm.

Translation to English:

Please let me know if you want to buy this. There is an American who is also interested. Is there anything else you're interested in? I'm going to sell part of my collection. Has mostly British, but also a lot German, French, Swedish etc.

Last edited:
I believe you are not right. I just read that this is a Stabsordonnanzen
NCO’s and men of Preussia,Baden,Mecklenburg-Swerin,Hesse and Wurttemberg wore Preussian Jäger zu Pferde men’s pattern helmets With their respektive State ornamentals in yellow metal. The black metal Helmet is the 1895 model.

Attachments

• IMG_2033.jpeg
    IMG_2033.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2032.jpeg
    IMG_2032.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 6
Hello,
On the other hand, it is easy to restore its authentic aspect, in particular by polishing the shell, by affixing the good cuirassier eagle, the good chinstrap (rare in spare parts), and the good roundels.
I believe you are not right. I just read that this is a Stabsordonnanzen
NCO’s and men of Preussia,Baden,Mecklenburg-Swerin,Hesse and Wurttemberg wore Preussian Jäger zu Pferde men’s pattern helmets With their respektive State ornamentals in yellow metal. The black metal Helmet is the 1895 model.

Attachments

• IMG_2033.jpeg
    IMG_2033.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2032.jpeg
    IMG_2032.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 2
The Chin scales that are currently on this helmet are for a leather pickelhaube helmet, specifically for mounted troops (Artillery, Train Batallion) and are not the correct Cavalry style of chin scales for this enlisted man's helmet.

Looks like someone re-painted underside of visors on this helmet interior with John Deere Green Paint.

I'm curious why the outer shell of this helmet has been blued or darkened. It should be polished steel.

It also looks like there's a need for some domed threaded screws for the spike base when I see the 2-thin split brad wire ones from viewing the interior of helmet photo.

There is a nice incorrect Bavarian enlisted kokarde on this helmet as well, shown in the excellent photos.

Best Regards,

Alan
You may be wrong about that.
I just read that this is a Stabsordonnanzen

Attachments

• IMG_2033.jpeg
    IMG_2033.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2032.jpeg
    IMG_2032.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 3
Back