never seen this combination

wihu61

doesn't look OK to me, am I right?

http://cgi.ebay.de/Pickelhaube-Spike-Helmet-Casque-Helmet-Sachsen_W0QQitemZ6608059831QQcategoryZ13965QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hello Wihu.
Good old Yoolan9. You have to admit it - he's versatile!
Not too sure exactly what's going down here. More old pants by the look of it. As far as I know there is'nt any Saxon military helmets that use a cruciform spike base. A cruciform spike base partnered to curved visor is also usually a no-no unless it's hessen, but I have seen non-military helmets with that combination. You can't see under the retainer plate inside to see if there are holes for a round base. There's other issues too. Liner, cockade, rear trim etc. This may well be a police or fire helmet with a Sax. Infantry EM plate shoved on. Brass star + all silver fittings = :error: to my mind. As would buying it be.
In a word, Appalling.

Yes, it is a 'super piece of tank' is'nt it. Or something. But you can bet that true to form, there will be no shortage of takers on this one.

istanbulian said:
"Ein super piece of collecting tank!!! Whatever that means :eek: :)

That is a German speaking seller placing "Sehr seltenes orginales Sammlerstück" which means "A very scarce collectable piece" into an on-line translator which comes back as "super piece of collecting tank".

Lesson learned: on-line translators translate the words, not the meaning or context. I have received some very confusing e-mails from around the world. :happy6:

Wihu, have a look at this page here http://www.kaisersbunker.com/pt/pickelhaube.htm on the On-line guide to the different patterns of Imperial German Pickelhaube.. Near the bottom these cross-base + round visor jobs are briefly explained as Mike mentioned.

Even if the inappropriate cruciform base had a "correct" square-cut visor, the spitze, unusually short for an M97 Sachsen, would give it away.
The silver chinscales & visor trim might have passed, had they been described as wartime pewter, as on mine.

I take by the bad vibes uhlan9 sell aloto junk ? I have been watching some of his other haubs and he aint cheap.Mark :eek:

As you say Mark, he aint cheap. I think it has something to do with the holidays in the South of France.
That looks like a nice example RRH, can we see some more detailed pics?

Back