NEW ADDITIONS BRITISH INFANTRY OFFICERS HOME SERVICE HELMET PLATES 1878-1900

Yeohelmetguy

Hello all... newest additions to my collection of British Army infantry officer's home service helmet plates worn between 1878 and 1900... again, regular army battalion/regiment plates are in gilt/gold and volunteer battalions/regiments are in silver...

Helmet Plate 1st Cambridgeshire Rifle Volunteer Corps.jpg

Helmet Plate attributed to an officer of the 1st Cambridgeshire Rifle Volunteer Corps as worn 1878 through 1887. The 1st Cambridgeshire Rifle Volunteer Corps became, in 1881, the 3rd (Cambridgeshire) Volunteer Battalion, The Suffolk Regiment. The helmet plate is a universal star plate with the upper most rays surmounted by a Victorian crown. On this plate is a circlet inscribed “1st CAMBRIDGESHIRE RIFLE Vol. CORPS”, this in turn surrounded by a laurel wreath all in silver plate. Within the circlet, on a black velvet ground also in silver is a depiction of a three-tower castle.

Helmet Plate 2nd West India Regiment 1.jpg

Helmet plate attributed to an officer of the 2nd West India Regiment worn 1881 through 1888 when the 1st West India Regiment and the 2nd West India Regiment became the first and second battalions respectively of the newly formed two battalion West India Regiment and adopted a new pattern helmet plate, an example of which can be seen included in this album. The helmet plate consists of a universal pattern star plate the upper most rays being surmounted by a Victorian crown. On the universal star plate is mounted a wreath of laurel leaves left and palm fronds right and within the wreath a strap carrying the regimental title, “WEST INDIA REGT” and within the title strap the numeral “2” mounted on a black velvet background. Below the title strap superimposed at the juncture of the left and right wreaths, a scroll baring the battle honor “ASHANTEE”. The entire plate is in all gilt.

Helmet Plate 34th Yorkshire West Riding (Saddleworth) Rifle Volunteers 1.jpg

Helmet plate attributed to an officer of the 34th Yorkshire West Riding (Saddleworth) Rifle Volunteer Corps as worn from 1878 through approximately 1895. The universal star plate which is silvered has centrally a strung bugle horn upon a black velvet background. Surrounding the central device is a circlet impressed with at the bottom of the circlet in block letters “SADDLEWORTH” and around the remaining upper one half of the circlet “GOD AND FATHERLAND” (very Germanic and most unique for a British helmet plate) in olde English script and surrounding the circlet is a laurel wreath. The plate was worn on a grey home service pattern helmet. The 34th Yorkshire West Riding (Saddleworth) Rifle Volunteer Corps was absorbed into the 5th Administrative Battalion in 1877 and despite being carried on the Army List as the 2nd Volunteer Battalion, West Riding Regiment, local tradition had them continuing to operate as a separate body into the early to mid-1890’s when the “Saddleworth” Rifle Volunteers were disbanded.

Helmet Plate The Lincolnshire Regiment.jpg

Helmet plate attributed to an officer of the Lincolnshire Regiment worn from 1881 through 1901. The helmet plate consists of a universal pattern star plate the upper most rays being surmounted by a Victorian crown. On the universal star plate is mounted a wreath of laurel leaves and within the wreath the garter strap inscribed “HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE” all in gilt and within the garter strap mounted on black velvet the sphinx over Egypt in silver. Below, on the silver universal scroll “THE LINCOLNSHIRE REGT.”

Helmet Plate The Queen's Own (Royal West Kent) Regiment.jpg

Helmet plate attributed to an officer of the Queens Own (Royal West Kent) Regiment worn 1881 through 1901. The helmet plate is the gilt universal star pattern surmounted by a Victorian crown on which is the garter strap with the usual inscription “HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE” surrounded by a laurel wreath in gilt. Within the Garter strap on a black velvet ground *now absent) is the White Horse of Kent with the scroll inscribed “Invicta” and a scroll above inscribed with the motto “Que fas et Gloria ducunt” all in silver. The “White Horse of Kent” and motto “Invicta” were approved in 1881 and was a former badge of the West Kent Militia and had appeared on the pre-1881 officers helmet plates along with a scroll “Queen’s Own" of the 50th Regiment.

Helmet Plate The Suffolk Regiment.jpg

Helmet Plate attributed to an officer of the Suffolk Regiment as worn from 1900 through 1901, a one-year pattern helmet plate. Prior to 1900 the central device, the Castle of Gibraltar, as depicted on Suffolk Regiment helmet plates showed only two towers. On 30 January 1900 a War Office instruction directed that the Castle of Gibraltar should in future be shown with three towers and in accordance with this a new version of the plate was subsequently approved. The helmet plate is the gilt universal star pattern surmounted by a Victorian crown on which is the garter strap with the usual inscription “HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE” surrounded by a laurel wreath in gilt. Within the Garter strap on a black velvet ground is the “new” three tower pattern Castle of Gibraltar” and key with a scroll above inscribed “Gibraltar” and below a scroll inscribed “Montis Insignia Calpe” in silver. Below the laurel wreath across the bottom of the plate is the regimental title “THE SUFFOLK REGIMENT” in silver.

I hope everyone will enjoy these newest additions to my British Army home service helmet plate collection... and thank you for looking!

Cheers,

David

Wonderful plates, congratulations and thank you for sharing (y)
Hello Sandy,

Thank you for taking a few minutes to look at and appreciate the newest additions to my British Victorian Army officer home service helmet plate collection. Likewise, thank you for your always positive comments, much appreciated!!

Cheers,

David

David, a great selection of plates, and descriptions! Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Dennis
Hi Dennis,

Thank you for your generous remarks... some of the new additions to my collection of British helmet plates... more to follow soon... I thought and hope all of the Haube collectors will appreciate the 34th Yorkshire West Riding plate with its "God and Fatherland" inscription which seems so German-like and unique among British Victorian helmet plates. Thanks for taking time to look...

Cheers,

David

Thanks for sharing. Great plates .
Hello!! Thank you for your very generous accolade and for taking time to look at this post. If you have an interest in British militaria, I hope you will take time to take a look at some of my others posts highlighting some of the dragoon helmet's and some of the other officer's home service helmet plates in my collection. Again, thank you for your kind remarks.

Cheers,

David

Hello!! Thank you for your very generous accolade and for taking time to look at this post. If you have an interest in British militaria, I hope you will take time to take a look at some of my others posts highlighting some of the dragoon helmet's and some of the other officer's home service helmet plates in my collection. Again, thank you for your kind remarks.

Cheers,

David
Definitely . I will go look thhem up and like .
Loving the forum so far. Nice, knowledgeable people. Hard to come by it seems.

Definitely . I will go look thhem up and like .
Loving the forum so far. Nice, knowledgeable people. Hard to come by it seems.
Hi xplicito,

Thank you for your note, I am so pleased you are enjoying the "Forum" and my posts in particular. You are so correct, lots of very friendly people, lots of very knowledgeable people and most of all lots of people on this forum willing to share their vast knowledge and experiences collecting in their various areas of interest!

Cheers,

David

Hello David,
I have now quietly enjoyed your new post on the evolution of headgear once again. As I said before, your posts here are developing into a fantastic pictorial handbook on the headgear of the glorious British Army! In addition, the photo quality is very appealing. Many thanks for this..... (y) :)
Frank

Hello David,
I have now quietly enjoyed your new post on the evolution of headgear once again. As I said before, your posts here are developing into a fantastic pictorial handbook on the headgear of the glorious British Army! In addition, the photo quality is very appealing. Many thanks for this..... (y) :)
Frank
Hi Frank,

Again, thank you for your very kind note... I am so pleased you are enjoying my posts about British army headgear and finding the pictures, histories and descriptions both useful and interesting. I will be posting a new officer's home service helmet that is currently in the post on its way to me as well as several new officer's home service helmet plates that have been added to my collection over the last couple of weeks ... will be posting in the next week or two. Thank you for looking at these posts and I hope you will continue to enjoy my up-coming posts!

As always, my very best regards,

David

Back