New Area For Discussion

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
These metal lobster tail Cavalry helmets have been lumped in with their leather and felt brethren since this web site was started, I think that it is time that we give then a forum section of their own.

Wow indeed ! :thumb up: :thumb up: :thumb up:

Fantastic and rare !

The Kokarden are non-serrated and cut as well at the hinge of the chinscales...if I have it right of course...

Francis

Many thanks to all for your appreciation. Here are a few more details. I have added a shot side by side with a line Kurassier helmet to exemplify differences. The latter is obviously an older model (more ovoid shell, less vertical lobster tail, slightly shorter spike).

That is one rare beast Bruno. I can't get over the chin scale design...never seen anything like them!

More on the special chinscales for the Officers helmets of the Leib Kürassier Regiment:
Translated from J-L Larcade Volume II page 14:
The Officers helmet for the Regiment No. 1-the Leib Kürassier Regiment-has the unique chinscales according to the tradition: in accordance with the Regimental history they date back to 1814: spoils of war taken from the Manufacture de Versailles.France. This scales were flat-not convex; with a rim. Both of the chinscales halves are attached to the rosetten (trefoil shape) and secured by means of a small hinge. The Kokarde is not serrated, made of black painted tin plate with a silver board. Not totally round: cut off of at the hinge points to leave space for the chinscale halves to be moved in the hinges.

Francis

Khukri said:
More on the special chinscales for the Officers helmets of the Leib Kürassier Regiment:
Translated from J-L Larcade Volume II page 14:
The Officers helmet for the Regiment No. 1-the Leib Kürassier Regiment-has the unique chinscales according to the tradition: in accordance with the Regimental history they date back to 1814: spoils of war taken from the Manufacture de Versailles.France. This scales were flat-not convex; with a rim. Both of the chinscales halves are attached to the rosetten (trefoil shape) and secured by means of a small hinge. The Kokarde is not serrated, made of black painted tin plate with a silver board. Not totally round: cut off of at the hinge points to leave space for the chinscale halves to be moved in the hinges.

Francis

You are absolutely right Francis. I have also seen this kind of cockade referred to as of the old hessian (alt hessischen) type.

Alan,
These are great looking Kurassier helmets! Thanks for posting the photo and keeping them up. Unfortunately, many photos have been removed or lost from other discussions in this forum.
Best regards,
John

Back