New argentine helmet general of the army

Interesting helmet, but I think it may be a put-together as its not in the correct configuration for an Argentine General, which should have a squared front visor or the "half-squared" style as sometimes seen on Saxon General's helmets. Also, the quality seems a little off for a General's haube, which should have very fine fittings. Furthermore, I believe the spike and base to be replicas...

Poli,

I must agree with Arran. Unfortunately, that is not an Argentine's Generals helmet. It should have a squared front visor. The wappen however does however look good.

You should check Ricardo Jara Franco's excellent article, PICKELHAUBEN IN LATIN AMERICA on Joe's website:

http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/latin_America.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John

Hi all, specially Jhon and Arran, thanks for the opinions, I am shure you are both right.
I been studying those argentine haubes for some time, how are you shure that the generals helmets have a different visor?, I am not saying you are wrong, I believe all you said is true, but I want ot know if you have any oficial instructions, or examples aviable. More on your behalf, the only other two generals helmets that I know, with a pristine provenance are both with square visors ( one is in the national historic museum, belonged to president Uiriburu, and the other is from the granfather of a friend of mine )
Thanks
POLI

Poli,

I am 100% sure that Argentine General's helmets have square visors. I do not have a written directive but I have personally seen 4 photos of Argentine generals and they all have squared helmets.

My information comes from an Argentine collector who is connected to "El Museo del Regimiento de Granaderos a Caballo".

John

Thanks Jhon, that is very interesting! with local collectors we are always looking for info on those helmet, because local archives are missing , destroyed or simply you can`t get to them, even the local military dont pay attention to those old lids.
So we can conclude that argentine generals wore square visors, that is something to have in mind when looking for a good one.
A local seller has one for sale ( the same was offered on ebay some time ago too, that was not sold because the seller asked 10K! ) and has round visor, but a friend of mine always belived that was also a put togheter, so we can now confirn that.
Also, as I said in a previous post, all the remaining parts of argentine hauben were sold to a surplus store in the 60s and the owner made many with the spare parts and most are mixed - trooper body+ officier spike/officier body + trooper cockades, etc ) maybe the same happened with generals spare parts!
Thanks a lot for the info!
POLI

Back