New find - Prussian Officer's Pickelhaube

Mark McM

Hello All,

New to the site here. I'm a sword & edged weapon guy, but happened upon this Prussian officer's haube in a local antique shop. I know it needs some parts, but figured for US$180 it was a no-brainer. Otherwise it's in fairly nice shape. Guess the liner will be the big issue on this one. Anyway, it's nice to know this stuff still turns up!

Mark- welcome to the forum, for that price you did good, the parts you have are worth way more then that.

Thanks

James

Hello James,

Thanks! Honestly, it was the last thing I ever expected to see pop up in a general antique shop! Am thrilled to have it. Am very much looking forward to bringing this piece back to it's former glory! (will be posting the parts wants in the appropriate forum, of course)

Regards,

A great find Mark....the spike alone is worth $250. The piece looks to be a mid war production. The black interior means that the helmet could either be vulcan fibre (early form of plastic), card board or even felt. I am thinking V fibre though. There is also a reinforcement band stitched around the rim of the helmet, you do not find this with regular leather helmets. The lining on the visors is also of a coarser quality than usual, perhaps paper instead of cloth? The visor linings are also different in colour. The norm is green lining for front visor, red for the back. A great buy though, you lucked out, you are going to be spending more to put the missing parts back on than what you paid for the helmet. I look forward to seeing it completed.
PS: Check out the holes which have been punched into the shell, does it seem to be made of card board, black plastic or black felt?

Very nice! Does it have a single screw holding the wappen on? If I were you, I'd find chinscales and cockades, but maybe not worry about the liner. Brian could help you make up your mind with that one.
it's always nice to find a bargain!

:D Ron

Back