New helmet, SHow of Shows

Grigioverde

Greetings. I picked this up at the SOS. 2 months ago. I was told it was a attic find. It is named in the helmet case. Perhaps someone has some resource to tell me more about the officer that used this.thanks Rob.

here are some pics

Attachments

• IMG_1138.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 4,112
  • IMG_1139.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 4,112
  • IMG_1140.JPG
  • IMG_1141.JPG
more pics

Attachments

• IMG_1142.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 4,112
  • IMG_1143.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 4,112
  • IMG_1144.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 4,112
  • IMG_1146.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 4,112
:-k

They tell you it is an attic find , so that you will not ask questions about the wrong spike.

Did you find the Name also inside the Helmet? You should investigate in the bavarian War- or Peace- Parent roll for further informations. May be you will be able to find some informations about the owner :thumb up:
Is the Spike lacquered? Looks not like fire-gilded but gold color for me :-k

I agree a fluted spike would be nice, but I think that this helmet may be the exception for several reasons. First, this is the cleanest, most un messed with helmet. Second, the helmet is huge. I have a large (60 cm) head and it fits me fine. This leads me to think the officer may have been unusually tall. If one was so tall, he may need a special helmet that deemphasizes his height and avoids the embarrassment of striking his spike on low doorways and chandeliers. Third I tried a fluted spike on the helmet and it threads OK, but doesn't seat properly, the round spike seats perfectly. This is because although the cruciform base plate looks in every way Bavarian, with 6 holes in the throat, the top portion, however, looks like a Prussian helmet where the spike meets the base. The spike is also a officer spike and is the shortest one in my collection, no advantage to replacing a spike with one of equal value. Fluted spikes are typically on the long to very long side.
Here are some pictures for comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_1149.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 4,035
No name in the helmet, just the case. Josef Haldacher. I was speaking with a young man from Bavaria that said this was a Bavarian sounding name. He also told me that Hammelburg is a city that is still involved in army training. Does the baggage sticker make it look like he was traveling by train to the western front (Metz)?

Welcome to the forum Grigio, great to have you with us and congrats on the new helmet. This is obviously your helmet and if you are happy with the way it is with a Prussian style spike top then great. However, just a couple of things to add regarding spike tops....the threading in the spike neck is not universal, one size does not fit all as in our modern times. You could have 6 officer bases with necks and have only one spike top fit one of them. This is why buying an original spike cone replacement is such a crap shoot, there is no guarantee that it will fit. Consequently, it is no surprise that your fluted spike from the other Bavarian helmet does not quite fit right to the new helmet. You are lucky that the Prussian one does fit nicely. Enjoy your helmet!

Hi Gents,

I have access to the Bavarian Kriegsstammrollen and checked this name. There is not a single guy with the name HALDACHER. I may think the real name is HAIDACHER so I checked again and there are a few Josef and Joseph HALDACHER, about 5-10 guys but they are all enlisted men, no officers...

Because the emblem on this helmet is without the laurel leaves between the lions legs, this only could have been produced between 1914 and 1918, I also checked the Verlustlisten 1914-18 and the Ehrenrangliste 1914-18 and again, I could not found any officers with this name, sorry....

We all know that the things we are collecting have changed hands a lot since 1918.....Most of the time, when you find a helmet in a helmet case, both were not born together but were added to each other by a collector. This is the sad truth....And this may be the case hier because the helmet itself is not showing a name in it. The name in the case could also be an owner stamp of a precedent collector, dealer or even a name of a costumer.

Philippe
:wink:

Could it be also Haidacher? Found some Josef Haidacher‘s on ancestry.com. But unfortunately no Cavalry, just Infantry.
Or was it opposite and the arched Chinstrap means infantry not Cavalry?

Cavalry has indeed rounded shin scales , however from 1914 on , all Bayern officers had rounded scales.

Hessen helmets are also an exception to this rule.

Spiker said:
...however from 1914 on , all Bayern officers had rounded scales.

Hessen helmets are also an exception to this rule.

Thank you for this information, thought the differentiation for the chinscales was valid for bavarian Helmets till the end :bravo:

Spiker said:
however from 1914 on , all Bayern officers had rounded scales.

I agree :thumb up:

For example, my latest find, M15 bavarian officer helmet recently found in an old bavarian house with a few other things of the wearer, Oberleutnant a.D. Otto BÖGL, 4 Kompanie KBJR19, born 20.5.1896 and taken prisoner on the 28.6.17 in the Oppy wood near Arras as he still was a young Leutnant. This late helmet officer pattern (war production) is showing rounded chinscales and the bavarian emblem without laurel leaves, as it should

Philippe
:wink:

Back