New member and his first 'haube UPDATED w/ New Pics

Benji

Greetings fellow enthusiasts!!

My name is Benjamin Eckstein. I am a long time 'listener' that has been converted to a member. I guess a quick blurb about myself. I am a graduate student in paleontology and will soon be transfering over to museum studies. I have many interesting including collecting pickelhauben. These include collecting First World War uniforms and other items, pre 1925 toy trains (Lionel, Ives, etc), Model Railroading, and will be getting back into reenacting as well. I guess what finally converted me over to becoming a member was the nice and friendly community that is on this board, and my recent acquisition of my first spiked helmet.

Its a restorer and I know that I should try to buy the best as possible, but I wanted to get one and not pay alot at the moment. Plus, I like restoring items, and this one looked like a good canidate. I have submitted some pics below, and hopefully I didn't go overboard on them. This helmet is pretty much all complete except for a missing cockade and new leather for the chinstrap. But despite its loose visor, at least it has all the chinstrap hardwear, and some nice stamps inside and is a size 58.

I do have a few questions though. This particular piece seems to have a black tin sheet underneath the spike base. It is something I have never seen before, and was wondering if it is original to the piece? Also, I am not sure if it is paint or part of the lacquer covering, but it seems that on the front and back visor the lacquer is thicker and not as smooth. There is also a bit of black on the lower left front plate, as well as on one of the 'buttons' on the side of the visor trim. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

pickelhube1small7ix.jpg

pickelhube11small4ow.jpg

pickelhube12small8jm.jpg

pickelhube13small0gs.jpg

pickelhube14small6ue.jpg

pickelhube15small5dq.jpg

pickelhube16small9wo.jpg

pickelhube18small0ly.jpg

pickelhube17small3vz.jpg

pickelhube19small9yy.jpg

Ben,
Welcome! Great intro!
This particular piece seems to have a black tin sheet underneath the spike base.

You have stumbled into a great controversy. There is no agreement. Most say no. The disk was on the inside and someone post war put it together backwards. Others say they were done this way. I am in the latter group but cannot fully explain the logic of the outer ring. There are just a lot of them.

Your M15 has some nice marks. Issued in VII corps it was sent to the repair shop of VII corps and reissued. You have the "F" mark which seems to indicate that it cleared the repair inspector. Well marked helmets are a real plus!

Again thanks for joining and sharing. I'm sure others will help you restore far better than I can.

Welcome Ben,
Nice M1915, these are the ones that I like best. This is a nice example in that it is a large size, it seems that most were smaller sizes. Next, share your WWI uniforms (Please).
Gus

Thankyou all very much for your kind words and wonderful info!

If this helmet was repaired and reissued, do any of you think that could explain the thicker (almost goupier) lacquer or black paint on the front and rear visors?

I thought that was what the tin plate was for! When I begin my restoration, do you think I should switch the plate to he inside or keep it on the outside. If I remove the spike and plate, I think I might be able to tell if it was switched around recently. The only info I have on it so far is that it was given to the fellow (from whom I purchased it from) father in 1978 or so. I am still waiting on more info.

Sorry, I would love to post pics of my uniforms, but they are in Ohio. I took them home during winter break since I am moving back soon. However, I think I might have a photo or two of my apartment when they were all here and hanging on the wall.

A quick description of them: nothing to spectacular like some I've seen in the forum. Mostly American, one French Infantry Officers tunic, a nice period British trench cap and P1922 tunic, and either an Italian or African American troops Adrian helmet.

I guess the neatest uniform lots I have are a railway engineers summer weight set with name ( and soon to get some copies of info on him), a nice motor transport corps uniform lot with name and burial flag, another MTC set that was tailor made and has a killer bullion patch. And some other misc unifor sets, like officers, wounded stripe tunic, and other EM issue stuff.

I also have a nice 48 star burial flag with a copy of the article and the names of the brothers that were killed in the war that goes along with it.

I have a few more hings, but I've probably gone overboard again!!

Later,
Benjamin

Hi Ben and welcome!

The first haube is always a great emotion for any collector and yours is very interesting because of its used condition and the stamps. I hope to you many other helmets in your collection.

Maxime

Nice haube ,It is officially the largest one I have seen ( ongoing rant) . What level of degree are you attaining in Museum Studies . Up here in the North that is a hard field to follow ,Most of my friends have travelled south
to gain thier Masters . Welcome .
Mark G. :)
I hope Gus didn't notice where you live :eek:

geo_ben said:
If this helmet was repaired and reissued, do any of you think that could explain the thicker (almost goupier) lacquer or black paint on the front and rear visors?
Hey Benjamin,
I have an M1915 that I picked up recently at SOS, It also has what seems to be the same type of finish to the visors, in places it looks like a mini mud slide where the lacquer/finish seems to have slipped down. The visors were not made the same way as the Corpus, I suspect the thicker finish was to add some rigidity to the leather.
Gus

What level of degree are you attaining in Museum Studies.
Mark G.

I'll be working on my masters. I am actually (probably) going to transfer out and use some credits from here at A&M. I am looking very seriously at the University of Colorado, Boulder campus for the degree. They have a very nice and indepth program that also includes some heavy hours of interning at local museums.

-Benjamin

PS Thankyou all for your kind words and help with my first spiked helmet! I'll keep you all posted on the project.

This is a hard field to get into but keep at it. My Ftrind abd his wife attended William and Mary did there Placements at Williamsburg .They bith have thier masters . Both live in Ontario and both have museum jobs.
After High Xchool i did 2 years working at the Canadian National Museum AutoMotive Museum . I Went to school fot a different carreer , but Volunteer at the local Militia Regiment Museum.
Nice to hear someone that is going to that level of education ,in this field
Ebjoy your first Haube ,Warning it is a very addictive hobby. I find this forum really friendly and knowledgable , and there is a good sence of light hardidness amunst some of us.
Mark Giroux

its like potato chips, you cannot have just one! You will get mroe haubes!!!!

IMO I think the disc was moved post war, just my opinion, I have stumbled across a few like that, and I have switched them all back. In every case I have seen personally, the split pins holding the spike on have all been played with or opened and closed more then once.

Just my thoughts, welcome to the group and a nice helmet to boot!

James

IMO I think the disc was moved post war, just my opinion, I have stumbled across a few like that, and I have switched them all back. In every case I have seen personally, the split pins holding the spike on have all been played with or opened and closed more then once.

I think I am agreeing with you on this one. I looked closer at the inside, and you can see a faint circular impression where the plate would be. It is slightly visible in the picks above (if you squint real hard). I t is more noticeable around the spike vent area. There is a small black ring of dirt/grime that I believe is the same diameter as the inside diameter of the plate. So I think I will switch them around, but being extremely careful with the tabs!!

Oh, I found this helmet on ebay. Same deal with the inner plate!?!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGINAL-WW1-GE...622664130QQcategoryZ13965QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Believe me, the bug has bitten!! I will be acquiring more! But first I think I need a uniform to go under the helmet :)

-Benjamin

Welcome Ben, nice to have you on board and do not hesitate to ask questions in the different areas of the forum. We are all learning and sharing here. I have encountered this support disc situation as well. I always move them back inside because this is the way they would be normally. My first helme was a Prussian M15 also....yours is in much better shape! Brian

Hello all: Still here but up to my ears in work. I have just finished two books on the last day of WW1. Really fascinating. I have had two helmets with the reinforcing plate outside and put them back where they belonged, inside. I think both ways may be historically accurate but I can't think of a reason why the plate would be left outside. I am scanning all the posts I have been missing and it's really great stuff. Thanks all.
Bill in Maryland

Hey Bill,
It is great to have you back, try not to be a stranger in the future.
Gus

Howdy!

Should mention that I "rebuilt" my spikey helm and will post some pics soon. I also put the plate back inside where it belongs. It looked like it had been there for a while, but there is also a depression and ring around on the inside where it should be. So in the past 90 years or so, someone did something.

-Benji

Hello All: Still here and still collecting 'stuff'. I have focused my collection on books which I love reading. I have had two helmets with the plate outside and I put it back inside - I don't think anyone will ever know why so many plates ended up on top. I think either way is historically accurate though. Happy thanksgiving.
Bill

Include me in on the 'put it inside' crowd. I guess we may never find out why so many of these reinforcing plates ended up on the outside. Thanks,
Bill

Well hello all after a long absence!! I have a lot of catching up to do! I have finished my restoration of the M1915 (in late 2006!!!! :eek: )and will post pics soon!

I also have a repro M1895 to show off with my repro uniform from Schipperfabrik.

Sorry for being so absent for a long time! I have missed being here and learning new stuff here!

I cant believe the number of years that have gone by! Boy life and a girl can sure get in the way of things!

But now that life has settled and I am single now (ie more money for new stuff for my collection :D ), it seems appropriate to pick up where I left off.

-Benjamin

Some new pictures! The ones at the beginning of the topic are of the original condition that I found it in way back in '06. The new pictures show the helmet nicely reformed and restored (by me!). All parts are original, and it took a year or so to find an original chinstrap.

Its still a bit crooked and lopsided, but It is a heck of alot better than before! And not too bad for my first spikey. :D

I keep a former in it when for display out of a 100% cotton cloth un-bleached.

The helmet is pictured upon a M1910 Waffenrock from Schipperfabrik.

DSCN5402.jpg

DSCN5403.jpg

DSCN5404.jpg

DSCN5405.jpg

DSCN5406.jpg

Back