New Member Introduction

ph0ebus

Good day, all...

My name is Daniel Stern and I am a new member to the forums. I joined mainly in my efforts to learn more about my grandfather's history fighting on the front lines in the German Field Artillery in World War I. He never spoke of his experiences and I have no official records per se to look at, only his photos. I will be posting links to photos of my grandfather (as well as his cousin, who was also in the German army) in the photo section of this site, starting with the portrait of my grandfather wearing his dress uniform and (you guessed it) his pickelhaube. I know he was in the 9th Battalion, 43rd Field Artillery Regiment and that he was wounded (poison gas) for which he received (I think) the Iron Cross, 2nd Class. He was on the front for four full years.

I am looking for help on identifying what type of pickehaube he might be wearing, and information (if possible) on confirming his rank and the ribbon he wears in several of the photos. I suspect he was either a NCO or regular officer, mainly by the feldmutze he wears in some of the photos and the sword he holds in one portrait. I want to try and collect a pickelhaube like his someday and perhaps other militaria, as his personal items were sadly lost over time.

I also have a great interest in the Kriegsmarine and U-Boats in WWI in particular and would be happy to discuss them as well with those who share this interest. I have a lot to learn and hope to learn from you and contribute something to the forum as well.

All the best,

Daniel

Daniel- welcome to the forum!

looking forward to seeing the photo's and seeing what we can find out!

James

Welcome Daniel,
You have come to the right place, there are several members who are very good at interpreting photos, and we have one member who is an expert at old photographic methods, and he will be able to give a very reliable opinion of ribbons and colours show in older black and white photos. We anxiously wait to see the images.
Best wishes
Gus

Hi all,

I posted my specific questions and a link to the photo I described in the 'Period Photographs' discussion section of the website; I welcome your feedback! I will post more pictures soon.

Thanks,

-Daniel

I only found this topic now, well my name is Jurgen, I am from Canada, moved to Iowa in the United States, parents are German and Austrian. Really interested in WWI History. I hope I have fun here. :)

Back