new member introduction

Sten

Good Afternoon Everyone, My name is Steve Marciante. As I had mentioned to Mr. Loree as i just recently got obsessed with the picklehaube lo and behold a website forum dedicated to just that. Fantastic. I have always been interested in WW1 but on a recent trip to Bavaria last October i decided to read more on the subject. How i got to the picklehaubes was that i am planning on building a tribute to the Great War, in a large display case. Showing helmets, flags, weapons, equipment as well as model kits of aircraft ships and 120mm painted soldier figures of the major powers. Its a little ambitious but not too bad. So far i have a French and Russian Adrian helmet from what i have been able to gather so far is that the Russian may be from the 1st or 3rd division sent to fight on the western front. I would like to post a photo of them and possibly get some expert feedback. My next item to get is a picklehaube but after reading all about them i think i have to get a few of them. I have enjoyed reading the posts and the high level of expertise shown. Thank You ..Steve./Sten

Welcome Steve! You have set yourself on a worthy quest in assembling such a display. That should take a number of years and a lot of fun to put together. However, what is life without its passions? Few of us are passionate about our jobs these days. So get passionate about hauben and militaria!! All the best, Brian

Welcome to the forum! Don't be a stranger and post any old question.

1st or 3rd division sent to fight on the western front. I would like to post a photo of them and possibly get some expert feedback.

There is an entertaining paperback on this subject. The title is "With Snow on Their Boots". There are many pictures inside and I thought it was a good read an interesting book.

VR/Joe

Hey Steve,
Welcome to the forum, we tend to ask more questions than we answer. Good luck on your collection, it sounds like you have a good start. The prices are getting rather high right now, but it is still not too late to get into a nice WWI display, but be careful that it does not get away form you or you will end up in a very crouded house.
guys019ti6.jpg

While it is true that I have been collecting since the mid 1960s, most of my collection has been acquired in the past 8 years. With the internet, it is easier to find most of the small parts to get such a collection together, but you need to be careful of the reproductions that are being resold as original.
Best wihses
Gus

We are not all expert's and this a great forum to learn. Steve , have to know why STEN ? Good luck and you seem to have been bitten by the bug.PickleHaubes are like chip's you can't just have 1.
Mark

Gentleman thank you for the welcome i had written a lengthy reply but i guess the page expired and it did not take . briefly Gustaf ...WOW what an army i can see myself creating an army like that now you have to go call the folks at disney and go animatronic, i didnt say that. Joerookey thanks for the heads up on the book i'd also like to read more on the allied expeditionary force that fought the red army during the end of the war. Mr. Loree again thank you what is good about my tribute is that i can showcase both passions of mine model building and the Great War. I thought read on one of the links your tips on cleaning picklehaubs i want to tidy up the two helmets i have but dont want to do anything too harsh. zipperheads9 , thank you your right i cant just have one there are three i'd like to get but i'm going to focus on one to start. Sten Marchenko was a misprint from a Russian fellow i bought a model kit from . he mailed it to me and my buddy Dave saw it and he dubbed me with it when i could not get steve as a user name i figured id take Sten. Well thank you all again , and i have to say these picklehaubes are amazing on a closing note I'm sure you already know this but i just found this out today the reason for the ball structure on the artillerymens picklehaube. i thought it was for designating artillery showing a cannon ball insted of a spike but it was so when the soldiers loaded unloaded maneuvered and aimed the cannon they did not poke each others eyes out see that i'm learning more every day Take Care ...Steve

Sten said:
I'm sure you already know this but i just found this out today the reason for the ball structure on the artillerymens picklehaube. i thought it was for designating artillery showing a cannon ball insted of a spike but it was so when the soldiers loaded unloaded maneuvered and aimed the cannon they did not poke each others eyes out see that i'm learning more every day Take Care ...Steve

Steve...... who told you this? Tony

i read it yesterday on a ww1 site i'll have to see if i can retrace my steps from the links i have at work next week if i have some time this weekend i'll see if i can locate it from home, it said because of the close quarters the artillery men had they made the ball insted when i read it it sounded like it made sense.

I would enjoy seeing that. Steve, this is definitely a case of "don't believe everything you read"; especially on the internet. I have read some hilarious 'facts' on forums, but this one, honestly, I almost fell off my chair laughing. Hopefully you can find that link. T

i had looked for it at work on the links i had but was unable to find it. i had thought it was on a site that had an article on the christmas truce or possibly when i was looking up the insignia on my adrian and helmets in general regardless I know that you guys are experts on these and if you never heard it before i'm sure it is not the case. sorry for the slight.

after some searching i located the place which mentioned about the eye poking spikes it is a ww1 site which has "color" photos. www.greatwar.nl/ it is titled on the left The First Real Color Pictures of WW1 on page 2 the big picture is of loading horses scroll down about 7 pics the picture is titled Smiling German Artillerymen. I tried to copy and past it but got a java script error.

interesting concept but my money is on the guys who know the thickness of the stitching and the grade of the leather.....i am glad i was able to produce the crux of it all for my own sake ....BTW i saw that there is a new movie on the Red Baron lookes great.

Back