New member old collector

John Josef

Hello Everyone,

Happy to become a forum member of like minded folks , I'm sure you will understand when I say I'm a life long collector.

It all started for me as a child, my uncle was in the 29th Div US during WWII and survived the war from beginning to end. I start with mentioning him because if it wasn't for him marrying my aunt (war bride) my family would have never had the opportunity to become Americans which is something I'm proud of.

He sponsored my father who I'll just say wasn't in the 29th Div. My father joined the US Army shortly after becoming a citizen and served in Germany funny right. I come from a family of military veterans on both sides.

Anyway, I remember playing Army in the neighborhood where I grew up with original items. And without even knowing it I was already a collector. My father gave me items he had and my uncle gave me things he wore and "liberated" during the war.

My collecting only increased as I grew up and ever since my first job as a paperboy I blew a good bit on Military items. I wish I could say I was always focused but it hasn't been until the last 30 years that I've only been focused on the Imperial items of Germany and Austria. I collect everything related to the period from 1870 till 1918. I collect from head to toe, personal items related to the life of the soldiers as well. Mostly combat items but also dress. See like I said I collect with a broad range which is wonderful and terrible( for the wallet). I'm recently retired hence the joining of this forum I now have free time to explore other aspects of collecting which has changed a GREAT deal in my lifetime.
I'm beginning to discover the forum and all it holds and it seems a wonderful place with a good group of guys and I must say gals as well something that has also changed. What I wouldn't have given to meet a women who shared my collecting interest years ago that just wasn't possible. But I wouldn't trade my Powerfrau for the world, she's a wonderful women and I'm blessed in life. All the best

Well said John and great to have you join us! Welcome. I am sure I speak for the rest of the membership…..we would love to see photos of your collection. 👍

Welcome John - this is an outstanding community with some incredibly knowledgeable folks always ready to share their wisdom (and their collections) !

Thanks for the warm welcome, Its appreciated. (y)

I made a deal with my wife many years ago and I'm only allowed to have one room to display my collection which is affectionately known as the Schatzkammer so unfortunately most of it is in tote boxes :cry:. I did annex the cedar closet in the spare bedroom to help store some of the uniforms so they are accessible. I usually have at least two displays up at any given time. I'm a little new to the forum format but I will try to take a few pictures of some of the helmets currently on view. Most of the ones out now have sentimental value and certainly aren't the rarest but I love em none the less.

I also started with one room in basement, and as kids moved out I got more space, one more kid to go and I will get the whole basement!

James

Welcome to the forum.

I also started with one room and now I have run out of space so I rented a storage facility about 5 mins drive away and I am also turning my home office cabinet to store some haubes.

Thanks for the warm welcome, Its appreciated. (y)

I made a deal with my wife many years ago and I'm only allowed to have one room to display my collection which is affectionately known as the Schatzkammer so unfortunately most of it is in tote boxes :cry:. I did annex the cedar closet in the spare bedroom to help store some of the uniforms so they are accessible. I usually have at least two displays up at any given time. I'm a little new to the forum format but I will try to take a few pictures of some of the helmets currently on view. Most of the ones out now have sentimental value and certainly aren't the rarest but I love em none the less.
I have a great wife . While she has no interest in the collection, when we moved to out new house in 1975
I had the collection in 2 or 3 rooms .She told me one day that while she did not mind my collection
but she really didn't like it all over the house .
She worked and had her own money , so she told me that if I would have a room built for the collection
that she would pay half of the cost of the room .
So I took her up on the offer and had a 20 ft X 40 ft room built in the 1980's
Steve

I have a great wife . While she has no interest in the collection, when we moved to out new house in 1975
I had the collection in 2 or 3 rooms .She told me one day that while she did not mind my collection
but she really didn't like it all over the house .
She worked and had her own money , so she told me that if I would have a room built for the collection
that she would pay half of the cost of the room .
So I took her up on the offer and had a 20 ft X 40 ft room built in the 1980's
Steve

WOW, That is a great wife (y)

I've been trying for years to convince my wife that I need more space. I thought I was going to be able to annex the spare bedroom next to the Schatzkammer and knock out the wall. I really did have one foot in the door until that damned covid hit and she didn't return to her physical office. Needless to say being the good husband I've since converted it into her home office. :cry:

There is still hope for the other guest room, if I can just convince our guest not to come :unsure: :D I can't really complain she does let me display my Granatenwerfer 16 and she swore that would never happen😁

Welcome here on the forum John! (y)

I am just like any other member here, would like to see pictures of you collection too.

Regards from the Netherlands, Coert.

WOW, That is a great wife (y)

I've been trying for years to convince my wife that I need more space. I thought I was going to be able to annex the spare bedroom next to the Schatzkammer and knock out the wall. I really did have one foot in the door until that damned covid hit and she didn't return to her physical office. Needless to say being the good husband I've since converted it into her home office. :cry:

There is still hope for the other guest room, if I can just convince our guest not to come :unsure: :D I can't really complain she does let me display my Granatenwerfer 16 and she swore that would never happen😁
Lol I have been a good wife.

I built a 60ft shed for my husband birthday. And he has militaria stuff in every corner of the house. We agreed not to have any militaria in the bedroom and that promise didn't last very long but I didn't mind it that much as these were small items that he placed into the chest of drawers.

The guest room was filled with militaria stuff in the cupboards under lock. Kitchen has a big gun sitting there looking at me. The gun in the pic was placed in the kitchen sigh.

We have a total of 5 sheds with the biggest one at 100ft and they were all packed.

When he passed on, the auction house took many many loads to clear out the collection. Of cos the pickelhaubes and steel helmets follow me back to Singapore.

I have a collector friend when he buys one militaria item, his wife would buy one doll so the whole place is doll and militaria stuff.

So guys appreciate all your good wives. These wonderful women of yours allow u to collect militaria stuffs.

Attachments

• 20181120_182823.jpg
    20181120_182823.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29

I built a 60ft shed for my husband birthday. And he has militaria stuff in every corner of the house. We agreed not to have any militaria in the bedroom and that promise didn't last very long but I didn't mind it that much as these were small items that he placed into the chest of drawers.

The guest room was filled with militaria stuff in the cupboards under lock. Kitchen has a big gun sitting there looking at me. The gun in the pic was placed in the kitchen sigh.

We have a total of 5 sheds with the biggest one at 100ft and they were all packed.

When he passed on, the auction house took many many loads to clear out the collection. Of cos the pickelhaubes and steel helmets follow me back to Singapore.

I have a collector friend when he buys one militaria item, his wife would buy one doll so the whole place is doll and militaria stuff.

So guys appreciate all your good wives. These wonderful women of yours allow u to collect militaria stuffs.

Hello Amy, First let me say I'm very sorry for your loss.

I would agree 110% you have been a good wife I would even say much more then good (y)

Your post had me smiling and laughing at the thought of a pak in the kitchen, I fear if I tried such a thing I may find the locks changed when I come home. You are an exceptional women and its really amazing for me to see your enjoyment of German headgear. I can truly say I've never seen anything like it. I really look forward to seeing your collection All the best John

John, thanks for the compliment.

John, at first my hubby placed the pak just next to the sink and he said I will have to walk round it to wash the dishes. It was such a hassle and that gun sat there for few hours before I told him I will have to take one pickelhaube off his collection for every round that I made thru that gun. He immediately shifted it next to the fridge.

I wouldn't change the lock. Honestly I find guys who have a hobby very attractive as they tend to spend a lot of time chasing after their hobby rather than chasing after women. As far as i have seen, all the guys who collect militaria do not collect women. Serious collectors don't even have any bad habit such as smoking so that their collection does not have a smell.

The only sad thing I have seen is many women don't know how to appreciate militaria collectors. They tend to feel that militaria is more important than them in the men's heart and in the end they want a divorce. I have seen collectors selling collection just to fund a divorce. My advice to collectors is to remember your wives birthday and not the war dates lol and be as romantic as possible so that divorce is no where to be seen cos we cannot bear to sell our collection to fund a divorce.

So guys start buying roses immediately lol

John, thanks for the compliment.

John, at first my hubby placed the pak just next to the sink and he said I will have to walk round it to wash the dishes. It was such a hassle and that gun sat there for few hours before I told him I will have to take one pickelhaube off his collection for every round that I made thru that gun. He immediately shifted it next to the fridge.

I wouldn't change the lock. Honestly I find guys who have a hobby very attractive as they tend to spend a lot of time chasing after their hobby rather than chasing after women. As far as i have seen, all the guys who collect militaria do not collect women. Serious collectors don't even have any bad habit such as smoking so that their collection does not have a smell.

The only sad thing I have seen is many women don't know how to appreciate militaria collectors. They tend to feel that militaria is more important than them in the men's heart and in the end they want a divorce. I have seen collectors selling collection just to fund a divorce. My advice to collectors is to remember your wives birthday and not the war dates lol and be as romantic as possible so that divorce is no where to be seen cos we cannot bear to sell our collection to fund a divorce.

So guys start buying roses immediately lol

Hi Amy,

Thanks for the nice words, I'm really very lucky to have found a wonderful women who has always excepted my collecting as being part of me and she has never tried to change me. She has always had her own career and money and has never told me what to do with mine that is as long as we have all we've needed. This has not always been the case. I remember having girlfriends in my younger years who didn't except the collector part of me, the traveling for shows and the spending of good money on "crap" was all a bit too much for them. To be honest I couldn't be happier, well maybe just a bit if she wanted to contribute to my addiction that would be kind of nice. ;)

You are certainly correct in the things you say. It really is exciting to have a women's perspective both on life with a collector and on collecting. (y)

Years ago there was a high end collector in NYC ,His name Christopher Ross .I sold him a red Prussian line Infantry flag
in mint condition. Price was set , then he says ; "I want you to bring the flag to New York to me " I told him , NO , the price
is FOB my house or mailed to you .he then offered IF he paid 1/2 of my round trip airfare would I bring it to him
and also I could see his collection .I said O K
Luck was with me as when I bought the ticket they had a deal ; 2 for the price of one
I took the free ticket . I asked my wife if she wanted to go with me
since it was a military deal trip , she said no
I sold the extra ticket to friend for $100 ( the good old days ) He likes dinner at the 5 star restaurants
his reason to go .I had a collector friend in N J . He picked me up at the airport and drove me over to
the townhouse of Ross .His collection was all over the board Imperial German & Russian
British and French. Every room of the townhouse had military in it
All of the furniture was antique .A high end magazine had done a several page color shoot of his display
It was called "Dressed to Kill " .I still have a copy of that article somewhere
In his bedroom he opens the drawers to an antique chess of drawers
The drawers were lined and had a collection of British Victorian officers cross belt plates .
When Ross stepped out of the room , Palko turns to me and says ; " I wonder where the SOB keeps
his underwear ? " The flag deal is done but not without drama .Ross tells me to go over to the pair of officers
boots on display , pick it and turn upside down
I do that then out comes the cost of the flag with $100 bills floating around
I go home with Palko and shoot photos of his collection and spend the nigh.
The next day I reconnect with my friend from Memphis
and before our trip to the airport we go to Staten Island and visit another collector friend
the late John Gray. All in all a great trip
Steve

Back