New member old collector

Years ago there was a high end collector in NYC ,His name Christopher Ross .I sold him a red Prussian line Infantry flag
in mint condition. Price was set , then he says ; "I want you to bring the flag to New York to me " I told him , NO , the price
is FOB my house or mailed to you .he then offered IF he paid 1/2 of my round trip airfare would I bring it to him
and also I could see his collection .I said O K
Luck was with me as when I bought the ticket they had a deal ; 2 for the price of one
I took the free ticket . I asked my wife if she wanted to go with me
since it was a military deal trip , she said no
I sold the extra ticket to friend for $100 ( the good old days ) He likes dinner at the 5 star restaurants
his reason to go .I had a collector friend in N J . He picked me up at the airport and drove me over to
the townhouse of Ross .His collection was all over the board Imperial German & Russian
British and French. Every room of the townhouse had military in it
All of the furniture was antique .A high end magazine had done a several page color shoot of his display
It was called "Dressed to Kill " .I still have a copy of that article somewhere
In his bedroom he opens the drawers to an antique chess of drawers
The drawers were lined and had a collection of British Victorian officers cross belt plates .
When Ross stepped out of the room , Palko turns to me and says ; " I wonder where the SOB keeps
his underwear ? " The flag deal is done but not without drama .Ross tells me to go over to the pair of officers
boots on display , pick it and turn upside down
I do that then out comes the cost of the flag with $100 bills floating around
I go home with Palko and shoot photos of his collection and spend the nigh.
The next day I reconnect with my friend from Memphis
and before our trip to the airport we go to Staten Island and visit another collector friend
the late John Gray. All in all a great trip
Steve
Here is the red flag that I sold to C. Ross
less the frame
SteveRed flag.jpg

Here is the red flag that I sold to C. Ross
less the frame
SteveView attachment 36129

All I can say is WOW (y)
What a collection truly a joy to behold, is that a Guard Officers Machine gun Shako on the end there? The condition looks splendid, just don't see them anymore.

I have a few standards, my current favorite that is on display is this Bavarian war veterans one. I'm half Bavarian so it holds a special place to me I really love the embroidery. They just don't make em like that anymore, really beautiful but take up a lot of real-estate and are hard to display.

Resized_20230423_135704(1).jpeg

All I can say is WOW (y)
What a collection truly a joy to behold, is that a Guard Officers Machine gun Shako on the end there? The condition looks splendid, just don't see them anymore.

I have a few standards, my current favorite that is on display is this Bavarian war veterans one. I'm half Bavarian so it holds a special place to me I really love the embroidery. They just don't make em like that anymore, really beautiful but take up a lot of real-estate and are hard to display.

View attachment 36155
Very nice
Thanks for the photo and post
Steve

All I can say is WOW (y)

View attachment 36155
Yes that is a Garde M G officers shako that you see
A friend of mine had a personal problem and sold his Infantry
officers helmets
What you see outside of the cases are the helmets that I bought
from his collection
I considered it a once in a lifetime chance to obtain great helmets
at one time
The Garde M G went in a trade to my friend in Belgium
I had a nice kammer issue e m ; so that helped for me
to do the trade
SteveGarde M G e m.jpegGarde M G.jpeg

Thats an incredible buy and no doubt and opportunity to get so many quality helmets and be able to help out a friend at the same time doesn't come around everyday. I would have had a really hard time parting with that Guard Shako of course I have a hard time parting with anything. ;)

Last edited:
Welcome aboard, John!

My story was simpler. When I met my future wife, a month later I took her to the training ground to my friends who are interested in the military topic. We were shooting, riding horses. I showed her that me and my friends are not exactly ordinary people. My friend told my girlfriend that I already have a wife. She was very upset and wanted to leave. But he said I was married to military history. Then I made her an offer to become my wife and warned her that there is a collection in my house, I am a collector, and this will happen whether you want it or not. Now we are married and my wife supports me.

Back