New member who collects Polizei Pickelhaubes

SCHUPO

Gents,

I am a new member who collects German Police items. Anyone else interested in Polizei Pickelhaube?

I picked up a very nice City of Zittau (Saxony) Police spike helmet at SOS last year that I thought I would show. Erich Radecke, "Polizei-Abzeichen Helme - Heraldik - Historie" 1.Band - bis 1918 talks about this helmet on page 56 of his book. He shows the helmet star that is on my helmet with the gilt emblem of Zittau backed with green leather placed on a Neusilber police star insignia. My helmet has a black leather body with Neusilber fittings as shown on other Sachsische kommunalen Polizei helmets. The spike is the short ball topped spike with a pearl ring at the base as seen on other municipal German Police spike helmets. The spike base has four lobes secured with plain bolts. The chinstrap is leather covered with flat scalloped scales with a distinctive screw-bolt fastening. The interesting red and white cockades are the same on both sides and are in the city colors of Zittau instead of the state colors of Saxony. This is correct for Saxony City Police helmets according to Radecke.

A very nice example of a City Police (Stadtpolizei) helmet that I was happy to find at the show.

Attachments

• Zit Pol helmet front.JPG
    Zit Pol helmet front.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Zit Pol helmet badge.JPG
    Zit Pol helmet badge.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Zit Pol helmet R.JPG
    Zit Pol helmet R.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Zit Pol helmet interior.JPG
    Zit Pol helmet interior.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 45
Very nice ! Thanks for showing. I have a Zittau polizei in my collection as well (just not a pickelhaube ;-)

Last edited:
I have dabbled in police/firemans helmets over the years, but I have sold them all now to focus on Military helmets. But I do like them and welcome you tot he forum.

James

I have one Bavarian Gendarmerie helmet. From their history, mainly ex-military used for the more challenging "policing" tasks.

Nice helmet.

Peter

Attachments

• IMG_0947.JPEG
    IMG_0947.JPEG
    542.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0948.JPEG
    IMG_0948.JPEG
    459.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0949.JPEG
    IMG_0949.JPEG
    488 KB · Views: 24
Welcome to the forum. I think that most of us are interested in any Imperial German headgear even though we collect military helmets. So feel free to post more examples from your collection.

Welcome here! I only collect military helmets, but see a lot of these police, and customs helmets for sale, but I know not much about them.
So, your knowledge about those, is really a welcome addition to the forum.
At least for me, and a lot of others here.
I would like to see more of your collection!

Thank you all for the very friendly welcome. My interest in Police units is fairly wide and deep including Imperial, Weimar Republic, NS, and Volkspolizei times. I am also interested in edged weapons so, I will be happy to share what knowledge that I have with the group.

Here is another example of this City style helmet. I should also say that this is the Model 1898 Berlin Police Pickelhaube. Notice that it has a low Police Official (Beamte) style of ventilated white metal spike with a pearl ring and a ball on the tip. It also has a nicely shaped four armed base that can be seen on some Beamte spikes. The Friedrich Wilhelm IV (FW) Wappen plate commemorates the 50 years of service of the Berlin Police in 1898. This helmet was worn from 1898 until 1918 and thereafter. This particular helmet was somewhat of a filthy mess that I was able to restore so since I have some before and after shots I think I should post it in the restoration section.

George Wheeler

Attachments

• Berlin helm.JPG
    Berlin helm.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Bedankt allemaal voor het zeer vriendelijke welkom. Mijn interesse in politie-eenheden is vrij breed en diep, inclusief imperiale, Weimarrepubliek, NS en Volkspolizei-tijden. Ik ben ook geïnteresseerd in scherpe wapens, dus ik zal graag delen welke kennis ik heb met de groep.

Hier is nog een voorbeeld van deze City stijl helm. Ik moet ook zeggen dat dit het Model 1898 Berlin Police Pickelhaube is. Merk op dat het een lage Politieambtenaar (Beamte) stijl heeft van geventileerde witte metalen spike met een parelring en een bal op de punt. Het heeft ook een mooi gevormde vierarmige basis die te zien is op sommige Beamte-spikes. De Friedrich Wilhelm IV (FW) Wappenplaat herdenkt de 50 dienstjaren van de Berlijnse politie in 1898. Deze helm werd gedragen van 1898 tot 1918 en daarna. Deze specifieke helm was een beetje een smerige puinhoop die ik kon herstellen, dus aangezien ik wat voor- en nafoto's heb, denk ik dat ik hem in de restauratiesectie moet plaatsen.

George Wheeler
Bedankt allemaal voor het zeer vriendelijke welkom. Mijn interesse in politie-eenheden is vrij breed en diep, inclusief imperiale, Weimarrepubliek, NS en Volkspolizei-tijden. Ik ben ook geïnteresseerd in scherpe wapens, dus ik zal graag delen welke kennis ik heb met de groep.

Hier is nog een voorbeeld van deze City stijl helm. Ik moet ook zeggen dat dit het Model 1898 Berlin Police Pickelhaube is. Merk op dat het een lage Politieambtenaar (Beamte) stijl heeft van geventileerde witte metalen spike met een parelring en een bal op de punt. Het heeft ook een mooi gevormde vierarmige basis die te zien is op sommige Beamte-spikes. De Friedrich Wilhelm IV (FW) Wappenplaat herdenkt de 50 dienstjaren van de Berlijnse politie in 1898. Deze helm werd gedragen van 1898 tot 1918 en daarna. Deze specifieke helm was een beetje een smerige puinhoop die ik kon herstellen, dus aangezien ik wat voor- en nafoto's heb, denk ik dat ik hem in de restauratiesectie moet plaatsen.

George Wheeler
Heren

Ik ben een nieuw lid dat duitse politie-items verzamelt. Iemand anders geïnteresseerd in Polizei Pickelhaube?

Ik heb vorig jaar bij SOS een hele mooie City of Zittau (Saxony) Police spike helm opgehaald waarvan ik dacht dat ik die zou laten zien. Erich Radecke, "Polizei-Abzeichen Helme - Heraldik - Historie" 1.Band - bis 1918 vertelt over deze helm op pagina 56 van zijn boek. Hij toont de helmster die op mijn helm staat met het vergulde embleem van Zittau ondersteund met groen leer op een Neusilber politiester insigne. Mijn helm heeft een zwart lederen body met Neusilber fittingen zoals te zien op andere Sachsische kommunalen Polizei helmen. De spike is de korte spike met een gouden bol aan de basis, zoals te zien is op andere gemeentelijke Duitse politie spike helmen. De spike-basis heeft vier lobben die zijn vastgezet met gewone bouten. De kinband is van leer bedekt met platte geschulpte schubben met een opvallende schroefboutsluiting. De interessante rode en witte valkparkieten zijn aan beide zijden hetzelfde en zijn in de stadskleuren van Zittau in plaats van de staatskleuren van Saksen. Dit geldt volgens Radecke voor helmen van de Saksische stadspolitie.

Een heel mooi voorbeeld van een City Police (Stadtpolizei) helm die ik graag op de show vond.

Gents,

I am a new member who collects German Police items. Anyone else interested in Polizei Pickelhaube?

I picked up a very nice City of Zittau (Saxony) Police spike helmet at SOS last year that I thought I would show. Erich Radecke, "Polizei-Abzeichen Helme - Heraldik - Historie" 1.Band - bis 1918 talks about this helmet on page 56 of his book. He shows the helmet star that is on my helmet with the gilt emblem of Zittau backed with green leather placed on a Neusilber police star insignia. My helmet has a black leather body with Neusilber fittings as shown on other Sachsische kommunalen Polizei helmets. The spike is the short ball topped spike with a pearl ring at the base as seen on other municipal German Police spike helmets. The spike base has four lobes secured with plain bolts. The chinstrap is leather covered with flat scalloped scales with a distinctive screw-bolt fastening. The interesting red and white cockades are the same on both sides and are in the city colors of Zittau instead of the state colors of Saxony. This is correct for Saxony City Police helmets according to Radecke.

A very nice example of a City Police (Stadtpolizei) helmet that I was happy to find at the show.
Hi Schupo, another Polizei pickelhaube

Attachments

• 20221031_095600.jpg
    20221031_095600.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
  • 20221031_095615.jpg
    20221031_095615.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
  • 20221031_095623.jpg
    20221031_095623.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • 20221031_095628.jpg
    20221031_095628.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • 20221031_095640.jpg
    20221031_095640.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • 20221031_095647.jpg
    20221031_095647.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
Peter,

Thanks for showing your Bavarian Gendarmerie helmet. I see that it has the correct "flat" one piece spike and base as well as the odd little Bavarian cockade and lion head rings for the chin strap. The Bavarians always seemed to march to the tune of a different drummer when it came to their military and police equipment. They were independent in their designs.

Rem,

Thanks for showing your helmet as well. Your Polizei helmet plate indicates use by the Exekutivpolizei it seems. Erich Radecke, "Polizei-Abzeichen Helme-Heraldik-Historie, I. Band-bis 1918" shows the plate style on page 32.

Gents,

Thank you for your replies and interest. I suppose the next of my helmets from my collection to show is this Pickelhaube for an Official (Beamte). Beamte were, generally speaking, civil service officers who held officer rank in the military or civil law enforcement. A Military Official could be a Dentist or a Gunsmith while a Civil Official could be a Policeman or a Customs Official for instance. They usually had lifetime appointments.

This Beamte helmet has a black leather body with leather fore and aft visors. The interior is made in the same manner as a typical officer grade Pickelhaube with a generous sweatband and liner. The brittle black silk liner is maker marked in silver letters to a supplier to the royal household. The larger soft leather sweatband is adjustable. The gilt brass spike is very distinctive with a ball top and a fluted spike (Beamtenspitze). The gilt front plate has a silver Wilhelm cypher attached to the front of the gilt brass eagle. The gilt brass chin straps are attached to the corpus of the leather helmet with round cover plates typical of those used on military officer spike helmets. The single red/white/black cockade is multi-piece officer quality and is attached to the right side of the helmet. There is no State cockade as is proper.

This helmet was not exclusively a Polizei helmet but was discussed as such by both Radecke and Lohken in their books on German Police Uniforms. This plate can be found in white metal and gilt brass... not just worn by Customs (Zollschutz).

Attachments

• Beamte helm.JPG
    Beamte helm.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Beamte helm wappen.JPG
    Beamte helm wappen.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Beamte helm cockade.JPG
    Beamte helm cockade.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Beamte helm interior.JPG
    Beamte helm interior.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Beamte helm liner.JPG
    Beamte helm liner.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 33
Hello,
I am also interested in Police, Customs, Civil servant and Gendarmerie pointed helmets. Infra, a Reichsgendarme helmet (Alsace-Lorraine) and a customs officer helmet (Prussian) on either side of a "border post".

Residing in Lorrlaine, a few kilometers from the Reichsland border, they are local elements.

Attachments

• BIBI.JPG
    BIBI.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
For comparison, on the left a helmet of a gendarme on horseback, and on the right a gendarme on foot. The mounted gendarme's helmet is identical to that of the Dragons, except for the eagle, and the one on foot is a private purchase, with its tulip-shaped tip.

Attachments

• Reichsgend. zu Pferde & zu Fuß.JPG
    Reichsgend. zu Pferde & zu Fuß.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 24
  • Reichsgendarm zu Fuß_ zu Pferde.JPG
    Reichsgendarm zu Fuß_ zu Pferde.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 24
  • Reichsgendarm zu Fuß zu Pferde.JPG
    Reichsgendarm zu Fuß zu Pferde.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 21
Here is my Prussian customs officer. The eagle is special to the agents of the Administration. Eigentum helmet, tulip point but with a small top ball.

Attachments

• Douanes Bibi.JPG
    Douanes Bibi.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
On the left a Landgendarm on foot and on the right a Landgendarm on horseback. Only the marking (L.G) differs from a Garde-Grenadier.

Attachments

• LandGend à Dte     GardeGr à Gche.JPG
    LandGend à Dte GardeGr à Gche.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 25
Back