New Pipe

J.LeBrasseur

Administrator
Staff member
Just picked this one up locally!

Great Uhlan pipe, lots of names etc. hard to read such fine script.

Excuse me if I spell somthing wrong.

Front has picture of soldier with his name above "Einj Graf V. Bernstone" not sure on all the letters.

Also, Ulanen RGT NO 15 Strousburg 1891-1894

James

pipe1.jpg

pipe2.jpg

pipe3.jpg

pipe4.jpg

pipe5.jpg

I'm likin that "ULAN" pipe you got there James!!! My students would describe it as "Sweet" or the more current "Sick" aka (very nice). Later Dude!! Brian

James,

Extremely cool pipe. I understand, the 15th Ulan (I used to say Uhlan but Tony trained me better!) But if I have a right, this guy is a one year volunteer, and his name indicates that he is royalty. Maybe Glenn can help us out with this one. Is his name also on the back roster? Very intricate pipe head but kind of a plain shaft. This is a really nice one.

Sorry Tony, Ulan, Ulan, Ulan I will get it right!

Joe, yes the man's name is also on the roster on back, I think it is actually Burnstoff or somthing like that, for sure has a Von in the middle.

Thanks

James

James LeBrasseur wrote:
//Great Uhlan pipe//Excuse me if I spell something wrong//

It's ULAN James!

Very nice! Now go get a Tschapka and Ulanka to match!

My work here is done. I shall now travel to other forums throughout the free world, purging the 'h" from the word known as Ulan. I go!

Wasn't there some dude called Quixote who used to be on much the same sort of mission??? Good to see you haven't lost that wry sense of humour of yours T. Brian

An interersting piece of hisory you have there James. Now i wonder how far this guy went in his military service? Who can follow the Ranglistes?

Hi chaps,

it is Graf von Bernstorff.

The problem with identification however stems from the fact that if this nobleman was commissioned, he did not serve as a reserve officer in Ulanen-Regiment Nr. 15.

Some two Counts von Bernstorff were serving in the rank of Sekonde-Lieutenant der Reserve as cavalry officers in the mid 1890s:

Sekonde-Lieutenant d.R. (14.12.95 Rr) Graf von Bernstorff: 2. Garde-Dragoner-Regiment.

Sekonde-Lieutenant d.R. (27.1.96 W13w) Georg Ernst Graf von Bernstorff: Dragoner-Regiment Nr. 17.

Regards
Glenn

Glen- thanks for the help, so we have a mystery on this guy being in the Ulan!

See Tony I spelled it right!

James

If von Bernstorff was a one-year volunteer, he may never have been commissioned.

Note the dates of service on the pipe: 1891-1894, or three years which was the normal time of service for mounted units. Curious.

Cheers,

Hey Chip
Maggie wants to know if Chipminx is anything like chipmunks, please do not beat me up (you will have to wait untill Laurie is done with me anyway)
Zaphod

Gus,

Actually, I do have a brother-in-law named Dale. I think I first heard that chipmunk thing in second grade. It still gets the same response. :roll: Speaking of names, what's a Zaphod?

Charles C. Minx Jr.

Hi Chip,
this forum is full of 3rd grade jokes, Maggie made me ask, Zaphod is the president of the universe, silly boy.
Gus

Back