New to collection

A

Anonymous

:) I was at the Militaria Show here in Toronto today and picked a couple items .1 a tent pole nag marked the same unit as my 1915 Tornister and an 1915

zu Pferde
100_0035.jpg

left side

100_0038.jpg

inside
100_0034.jpg

rear
100_0037.jpg

100_0039.jpg

right side

100_0036.jpg

hope these pics turn out . Where do you find unit markings for thispattern helmet? It has slight rusting on it what is sugested for removing this before it gets bad
Thasnks Mark G.

Hi Mark:
I recommend evapo rust which you can get at Canadian Tire. This stuff is ideal for M15's. It will remove the rust but not your grey paint. A very nice piece. Many of these are not unit marked. I think I see the size stamped into the tail trim on the inside. Unit markings could be stamped there or at the side under the kokarden. I had no clue there was a show in TO besides, I have been occupied with other things. Perhaps you and I can meet up at the one in the fall. Do you know the date yet? Congratulations on your helmet! I especially like the bluing on this piece. Brian

there was another there for 3000 . Some prices were just stupid An M15 Prussian ,the sellar was requesting 700 ,800 for m15 Wurttenburg . There was a nice M95 Prussian Kugelhelm for 800.
This helmet has a 59 for size ,I think it was dropped from the Horse It may be thinner than it needs to be. the front brim is bent upward and a rear corner is bent. These are repairable . I think it was sa good deal

Wow, Mark,
Great helmet, You got to go to a great show over the weekend while I sat in a cold house with no power or internet hookup over the week end.
The chin strap looks original and correct, but it apears to be black on both sides, or is that just because the leather is aged.
Gus

I was only 20 feet in the door and there went my budget. I am very happy with the Helmet .
Gus no Internet? I feel so bad .
Mark :cry:

Hey Joe, Looks like Mark uses the same razor I do. Mark, it is a good thing that your budget went so fast, imagine if you had started on the other end and spent some of it before you found the helmet. Yes, we had no internet for a day, and we had to drag out the old dial phone, many of our neighbors have discarded their old phones, and when the power goes off, many of the new phones do not work.
Gus

Yes Joe that is my ugly mug. Have been on medical leave for awhile and they have me on blood thinners ,so I Shave on a need to shave basis.
Yeah you are right Gus It is better that I found it at the begining of the walk about. Just wish I had more funds ,I know don't we all.
Cliff picked up an egg grenade for $20 missing the brass ignitor .
This show happens twice a year and if you take your time you can normally find something to add to your collection. This is the second helmet I have gotten at this show .the other was 2 years ago and was an M15 1916 made Picklehaube Marked nicely to the 4th Army that cost me $350 Canadian.
I have some list's for people at the show who had other items I was interested in ,most are hobby dealers.
Mark G.

Hi Mark, Cliff got a nice deal on the egg grenade, but finding the igniters is not easy, It seem sto me that egg grenades with transit plugs were selling for $50 at SOS, I picked up one with the igniter for $75, and that was ugly dollers too. I believe the correct igniter for the egg is pot metal and tin, although the brass igniter of the ball grenade will interchange, as the holes and threads are the same, and I would suspect that the igniters could be interchanged in the field if both types of grenades were in use in the same place. I hope you are back in top form soon.
Gus

Mark,

I know this is totally off subject, but since I'm also a student of heraldry, I'm interested in what the arms are that are on the t-shirt you're wearing in the photo! :lol:

The Sweat Shirt I am wearing is Maroon and has the enlarged Cap Badge of the Perth Regiment 11th Infantry Brigade 5th Canadian Armoured Division .They were Dispanded in the 1960's (1963) . They seved in Italy and North West Europe.
I did WW2 re-enacting and was ( still sort of) a member of that unit . At the peak there were over 100 of us and could field over 100 in the field ,complete with all the WW2 trimmings ,for rifle company .The Unit was headquartered in Stratford Ontario.
I only di WW1 Imperial German now ,but can do the Perth. Regiment if need be . The Symbols on the shield are from Stratford iself the Train for Industial Commerce ,The Plow to show Growth and Agriculture and the Buchsel of wheat to show Growth . The Latin Motto is Audux et cautus .
Long winded but hope that helps with the quetion
Mark G. :)

zipperheads9 said:
The Latin Motto is Audux et cautus.

I didn't know this expression, but I liked a lot...in Portuguese: Audácia e cautela (Audacity and caution)
It is what all of us needed... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Otto

it's latin otto go figure ,that is what it means Otto.
Mark.G.

What should this helmet have for cockarden? I have seen 2 different styles on tis pattern both larger type cocades . Mive has trgular M91 em Pickle haube type ,is this correct . 1 is a repop the other is not.
Any help would be great
Mark .G.

Mark, from my reading and experience, both the larger pre war Cav size and smaller infantry kokarden are acceptable on these M15 JzP hemets. Brian

I was yols that by an Ottawa collector . I just wanted to make sure he was not just trying to make me feel better.
As these helmets are of steel did they wear these as oppossed to th Stalhelm 15/17/18 models?

Back