NEW TO THE COLLECTION, FIRST QUARTER 2024 WRAP UP

Yeohelmetguy

Hello Fellow Forum Members,

My how time fly's, the first quarter of 2024 is coming to a close! I thought it appropriate to share this quarters newest acquisitions and additions to my British military headdress collection. These are new pieces to my collection added in January, February and March. I hope you will enjoy this newest post. A couple of the pieces presented here have been highlighted in their own separate posts. Thank you for looking and any comments you may want to post.

Cheers,

David

Bloomsbury Rifles 1.jpg
OTHER RANKS HOME SERVICE HELMET PLATE, 19th MIDDLESEX RIFLE VOLUNTEERS (BLOOMSBURY RIFLES)

Northamptonshire Imperial Yeomanry 3.JPG
OFFICERS DRAGOON HELMET NORTHAMPTONSHIRE IMPERIAL YEOMANRY 1902-1908 (SEE PREVIOUS POST)

Helmet Plate South Staffordshire Regiment.jpg
OFFICERS HOME SERVICE HELMET PLATE THE SOUTH STAFFORDSHIRE REGIMENT 1883-1901

Helmet Plate Royal Military College, Sandhurst.jpg
GENTLEMAN CADET'S HOME SERVICE HELMET PLATE ROYAL MILITARY COLLEGE SANDHURST 1881-1901

Royal Artillery FullSizeRender 4.jpg
OFFICER'S HOME SERVICE HELMET ROYAL ARTILLERY PRE-1901

Royal Artillery FullSizeRender 1a.jpg
OFFICER'S HOME SERVICE HELMET ROYAL ARTILLERY PRE-1901

Helmet Plate 4th Adminastrative  Battalion, Staffordshire Rifle Volunteers .jpg
4th ADMINISTRATIVE BATTALION, STAFFORDSHIRE VOLUNTEERS 1878-1880

Helmet Plate King's Own (2nd Staffordshire) Light Infantry Militia.jpg
KING'S OWN 2nd STAFFORDSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY MILITIA 1878-1881

XX7 FullSizeRender.jpg
ROYAL MARINES' LIGHT INFANTRY PRE 1901

XX6 FullSizeRender.jpg

XX2 FullSizeRender 1.jpg

Helmet Plate The Royal Irish Regiment.jpg
OFFICER'S HOME SERVICE HELMET PLATE ROYAL IRISH REGIMENT 1881-1901

Helmet Plate 1st Volunteer Battalion, Prince Albert's Somersetshire Light Infantry.jpg
1st VOLUNTEER BATTALION, PRINCE ALBERT'S SOMERSETSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY 1881-1901

Last edited:
Very nice! You have an excellent collection! I always enjoy your latest finds and pictures. :) (y)

Best regards, Coert.

Very nice! You have an excellent collection! I always enjoy your latest finds and pictures. :) (y)

Best regards, Coert.
Hi Coert,

Thank you for taking a look at this latest post... I always appreciate your gracious comments and your astute eye... glad you like this year's finds here-to-now, I think it's going to be a great year for my collection... I am excited by the new acquisitions so far and am hoping to continue the hunt for more relevant pieces to add to the collection!

Cheers,

David

Those are some beautiful helmets there!
Hello Bob,

Thank you!!! Thrilled you like the latest additions to my collection... the Northamptonshire Imperial Yeomanry helmet has proven to be the find of the year... so far... the helmet plate collection continues to grow by leaps and bounds as does the officer's home service helmet side of the collection! Thank you for your always positive and encouraging comments regarding my collection, they are always very appreciated!

Very best regards,

David

David, once again an outstanding display of helmets and plates. I particularly like the Royal Marines Light Infantry pre-1901. Quite the unique plate! Also the Royal Irish Regiment plate, that red background against the gold plate really pops!

Cheers,
Dennis

Holy cow David - what a lovely display! The Northamptonshire Dragoon is just stunning, and I also really like the Royal Marines Light Infantry helmet. You've had a good year so far. 😺

David, once again an outstanding display of helmets and plates. I particularly like the Royal Marines Light Infantry pre-1901. Quite the unique plate! Also the Royal Irish Regiment plate, that red background against the gold plate really pops!

Cheers,
Dennis
Hi Dennis!

Thank you for your note! I am just thrilled that you are enjoying the newest additions to my British headdress collection... it's a labor of love that continues to pay big dividends and never failing to disappoint! I really like the Royal Marine Light Infantry officer's home service helmet as well... it is the helmet plate that really attracted me, albeit the whole helmet is in great condition. You have a great eye, a very discerning eye, the Royal Irish Regiment helmet plate is really very striking and perhaps one of the most attractive regimental plates to the British Army, as you suggested, the scarlet velvet backing at the center of the plate really sets off the silver "Harp of Erin" and the shamrock wreath at the center and is a lovely contrast to the gilt plate. The real gem, though, is the Northamptonshire Imperial Yeomanry officer's helmet... one of perhaps twenty-six or twenty-seven produced for the regiment. Again, thank you for looking at this post and your always enthusiastic and positive comments... I really appreciate your input!

Cheers,

David

Holy cow David - what a lovely display! The Northamptonshire Dragoon is just stunning, and I also really like the Royal Marines Light Infantry helmet. You've had a good year so far. 😺
Hello Jeff!

Thank you so much for your always welcome and always super enthusiastic comments, I really appreciate them and you taking the time to look at this post and make your comments. Ah, you have a great eye, the Northamptonshire Imperial Yeomanry officer's helmet is, for me, the "holy grail" of British dragoon helmets. It is so unique with its regimentally specific cornflower blue and white horsehair plume. It is one of twenty-six or twenty-seven officer's pattern helmets made for the officers of the regiment and short lived in that it was only in use for about six years. I also really like the Royal Marine Light Infantry officer's home service helmet... the unique and I think elaborate helmet plate drew me to add the helmet to the collection. Again, thank you for your review and comments, always welcome and always appreciated... and I am looking forward to the rest of the being as good as this first quarter!

Best regards,

David

Love the Bloomsbury Rifles badge 😍
Hello Lars!

Thank you for looking at my latest post and your very generous comment. I really like the Middlesex helmet plate, too! It's a great plate and a real departure from other Victorian British Army home service helmet plates. The name of the regiment "Bloomsbury Rifles" seems fun to say and to just roll off my tongue... especially when I try to say it in my very best fake British accent... you have to draw out "Blooooomsbury" when you speak the name!!! LOL, LOL, LOL!!!! Again, thank you for you very thoughtful remarks!

Cheers,

David

Nice, especially the dragoon
Hi Charles!

Thank you for your note! I am pleased you like the Northamptonshire Imperial Yeomanry officer's helmet; you have a very decerning eye... I think it is a gorgeous helmet, a rare example to the regiment and very unique among British regular dragoon and yeomanry regiments. As I mentioned in other replies here, the helmet was only worn for about six years and only by the twenty-six or so officers in the regiment before full dress was discontinued in favor of khaki service dress and blue patrols in the British Army, a transition that began circa the Boer Wars and was completed several years prior to the beginning of the First World War. Again, thank you for you always very kind remarks!

Cheers,

David

Hi David,

Looks like you're really finding some great new pieces. As we already discussed I'm a big fan of your Northhamptonshire Yeomanry Dragoon Officers will be hard to beat IMO. That piece is a true beauty (y)(y) Congratulations, Cheers John Josef

Hi David,

Looks like you're really finding some great new pieces. As we already discussed I'm a big fan of your Northamptonshire Yeomanry Dragoon Officers will be hard to beat IMO. That piece is a true beauty (y)(y) Congratulations, Cheers John Josef
Hello John Josef,

So nice to hear from you, thank you for your note. Again, I am so pleased that you still find the Northamptonshire Imperial Yeomanry helmet so appealing. It was an extremely difficult and extremely rare helmet to find. Again, it is very near mint condition and among all the various regular cavalry/dragoon regiments and the dragoon uniformed yeomanry regiments the rarest of the dragoon helmets worn... only in use by the officers of the regiment for about six years and with less than thirty ever produced for the regiment. The cornflower blue and white horsehair plume was unique to the regiment, deviating from the more normal white, red or black plumes or plumes of a combination of two of those colors worn by most other regiments. The 2nd County of London Imperial Yeomanry was another one of the yeomanry regiments that sported a regimentally unique plume for a short period of time. They wore a very distinctive purple plume before it was changed to a white plume because the purple color faded quickly. I have an example of that helmet in my collection pictured below. Again, that you for your note and your always, very welcome, very generous remarks!

Cheers,

David2CL 14.JPG

2CL 16.JPG

Hi David,

Thanks for your very pleasant remarks, your collection is in one word Amazing(y)

It's really refreshing and interesting for me to see so many items of such fine quality that I know nothing about and to have your very well written and informative text to accompany those items. I really enjoy your post. Happy hunting in the next quarter regards John Josef

Hello David,

I am once again blown away by the expressiveness of your collection.

You make the glorious old British Army shine again. I enjoy every presentation you make and personally consider this an educational book on British Army headgear.
Furthermore, I am always amazed at the quality of the individual exhibits.

Allow me to ask you how you always manage to find such exhibits for your collection in the world.

Best regards
Frank

Back