new toys picked up at SOS

Gustaf

Staff member
I finally managed to get image shack to up load a small photo of the treasures I found at SOS, The Russian visor was a bit expensive, but I was able to do some trading to make it afordable, the Austrian Ulan cap was rather inexpensive at two hundred bucks. The French F1 grenade with the percussion fuse is a mixed bag, the grenade body is a bit rough, but the fuse is complete and intact. I found a pouch dated 1918 for my US barbed wire pliers. a German cup, Russian belt and buckle, a holster for my Dreyse (or for a Langenhan, if I can get one, I missed one on gunbroker last saturday for $250) a matched pair of 35th regt shoulder straps, the British verry pistol and the Austrian Roth Steyr. All in all, I am rather chuffed, but the best part was the gathering of friends.
Best wihses
Gus
newhj3.jpg

Hey Peter, here is my Russian, he is wearing a costum house cap, as near as I can determin, it is of British origin and my have been used in a recent movie (it was purchased very cheap, as I suspected it was not real, but it does have a real cackade) a cotton M1914 gymnastiorka is worn under his M1881 great coat, both are ex studio costume items that may be original (due to unseen details that studio work shops usually did not reproduce); the ammo pouches are reproduction supported by a belt with a M1904 buckle; on his right hip is his entrenching shovel and on his right hip is a M1909 water bottle; he is armed with a M1891 Mosin Nagant with bayonet.
russian8nx.jpg

Gsu
I can keep an eye on Russian stuff up here , I am looking for Chicom korea era , but come across Russian kit all the time.
Mark

Great Mark,
I am looking for a set of original ammo pouches, I picked up a mess tin a year or so ago that is not in the photo.
Best wihes
Gsu

Hi Gus:

Nice and interesting additions. Congratulations! Whose cypher is on the Austrian cap, and are there any issue markings inside?

Chas.

Hi Chas, the cypher is FJI, and the cap has a full range of markings, dated 1913, issued form the Monturedepot Nr, 1 (Brünn), and the maker's mark is OQ Sch & Ko. I would rate it an 8 on a scale of 1 to 10, a bit soiled but no mothing or wear.
Best wihses
Gus

It certainly looks great in the photo, and it's easy to see where the British army found the inspiration for its overseas cap.

Thanks.

Chas.

Lost Skeleton said:
It certainly looks great in the photo, and it's easy to see where the British army found the inspiration for its overseas cap.

Hi Chas--
Actually, the British field service cap is a descendent of the Glengarry cap, but clearly different nations were thinking the same thing.

Hi Peter:

You're probably right, but I was thinking specifically about the neck flap/soft visor configuration not found on the Glengarry. I believe Gus' cap resembles my USMC overseas when unfolded.

http://www.pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2330

Chas.

Hey Peter and Chas,
I would tend to think the British field service cap, while being a descendent of the Glengarry cap, would have been more influanced by the Austrian Kappe. The compairison with Chas' Marine overseas cap is almost a direct copy of the Austrian Kappe that I have. right down to the folded up visor. The British field service cap bears little resemblance to the Glengarry.
Gus

Hi Gus; Nice finds! I'm wondering if the roth-steyr is Hungarian or Austrian made and if any regiment markings on the grip disc? I don't get out of Mn to look for wonderful treasures, I just might try to get to sos next year. Dick

dick roback said:
Hi Gus; Nice finds! I'm wondering if the roth-steyr is Hungarian or Austrian made and if any regiment markings on the grip disc? I don't get out of Mn to look for wonderful treasures, I just might try to get to sos next year. Dick

Hi Dick,
It is Austrian marked With "Wn eagle 10" made at Waffenfabrik Steyr, the disc is marked 5 R A 41
Gus

Gus,

Nice haul to say the least. What strikes me most, however, is how much all of you guys drop at the show. It would take me years to come up with the sums that most show goers spend at one show! When I hear all the stories and see the new acquisitions of the forum members I realize that the hobby that I have loved lo all these years has passed out of my reach.

Not poor mouthing, just lamenting the loss of those happy days when collecting was not a contest of those with the deepest pockets. That's the curse that accompanies the benefits of the Internet. Thank god for books and reasearch (still relatively cheap).

Pardon the moment of melancholy,
Chip

I realize that the hobby that I have loved lo all these years has passed out of my reach.
Not really Chip. By far the best part of the show for me is hanging out with the other collectors. Besides having a blast I learn a lot every year. Two years ago I bought nothing. This year I bought a book and 10 picture postcards. It was well worth it to me. I would love to meet you next year at SOS!

Hey Chip,
Joe is right, the gathering of friends is the best part, and the show is the thing that make every one find an excuse to come. As for as new acquisitions, what you do not see is the items we disposed of. For example, the Russian visor was made affordable by trading a Jäger Mütze with a bit of to boot, The Roth steyr was the result of the sale of an Italian Adrian, a US sanitary train marked helmet and gas mask. The Austrian Kappe did come out of my pocket, but I could sell or trade it easily for more, and I did manage to beat Dave Mosher out of it, and that was worth the price alone just to see him pout. I have been a collector of assorted things since I was a kid, and I finance my new items, usually by selling off other collections (first rule of gin, you can't keep everything) and consolidating my current collection. It does not require deep pockets to participate, or I would not be part of the group. For me, the only real expense, was the cost of the room and the fuel to get out and back, less than $1200. Granted, for that money, I could have bought a nice Kuglehelm, or some other thing that some one would have to deal with when I die, but I would have missed hearing Brian say, "You should have seen Margo when I first picked her up, she was HOT" and seeing Margo stare daggers at Brian as he continued to dig himself deeper as we tried to take the shovel out of his hands. There are shows out here that are equal to the amount of SOS that I manage to hobble through, but I do not seem to find the time to go to those, but I will endeavor to make it to Louisville next year.
Gsu

Guys,

Sorry for the outburst. Just frustration.

I'll get to the show someday. Getting my youngest out of college will go a long way towards loosening up the funds.

I have been very hesitant to sell anything in the current environment. Being an older collector, I just can't relate to the current prices and am afraid of giving away the store. Anyway, the collection does not contain any real duplication, so it's more a matter of saving.

Chip

Back