new toys picked up at SOS

Hey Chip,
No problem with the out burst, to be honest, it is very frustrating seeing prices going up every day, but the up side is that our collections will be of some value if we need to sell. Our frustration with not haveing you there is that you would be a great contributor to the group, but now I am just being selfish.
Gus

peter I believe the Overseas cap was influenced by the Austrian pattern cap , the glengary was apopular headgear , but the Austrian pattern had the flaps and peak . This was what I remember reading researching that pattern as well as the Regimental pattern caps.
Mark

Hey Chip/Gus:
Gus, thanks for the reminder of my most embarassing SOS moment....NOT!! I hate to use the "F" word as in fellowship but we militaria collectors are a lonely lot. There are few people who care about our old "musty dusties" (Margos' term not mine) and a BIG part of the Show is getting together, swopping stories, doing some show and tell plus partying. The ladies have a great time together as well so that also helps.
Chip as you know, I also share your problem with the state of prices for Imperial German items. I have to be very selective in what I buy if at all. Brian

Getting my youngest out of college will go a long way towards loosening up the funds.

Chip,

We finally got our oldest out of college. Two more at school right now. The problem is that the oldest didn't get a real job for a year. Three weeks ago he got a job, a title, and benefits! There is a God.

Hey Brian, No problem on the reporting of the happenings at SOS, that is one place we missed Paul, as he has the knack of remembering everything said, but then maybe we are glad he was not there, as the discussion that took place a few moments before would fall into the catagorie of too much information.
Gus

Not poor mouthing, just lamenting the loss of those happy days when collecting was not a contest of those with the deepest pockets. That's the curse that accompanies the benefits of the Internet. Thank god for books and reasearch (still relatively cheap).

Chip, I agree with you. For me, a big part of the thrill is acquiring a piece I was after, and studying it and learning about it and its place in history. Imperial German headgear (especially spiked helmets) has always been desirable and relatively expensive, but I too find myself being priced out of the market. Fortunately, I have managed to pick up most of the pieces I always dreamed of owning (still need an08/15 though).
Nowadays, I have a hard time justifying spending the thousands it would cost to purchase a significant piece for my collection.
Lately, I have been having a lot of fun picking up former Communist Bloc stuff. I recently picked up a Soviet General's visor cap at a show for 20 bucks. What a hoot! The stuff is cheap and plentiful, and I'm enjoying learning about it.
Steve

Hey Steve,
When I started collecting in the late 60s, I had an interest in American Civil War (or as we were taught at SOS, The War Between the States) and by that time, every thing from the Civil War was very expensive, but WWI stuff was very cheap, so that is where I focused my collection, I did not consider WWII as it had not ended yet (WWII ended when the Berlin wall came down). My point is, there is a lot of recent militaria that has little interest, but with a little time, it will be just like the WWI stuff, and remember, when I started collecting, I was able to talk with a lot of WWI vets, there are still a lot of WWII vets and Viet Nam vets out there that would like to be able to share their experiances to some one who has a real interest.
Gus

When I started I collected Canadian 1952 pattern webb and Post war Battlefress . When I finally got into collecting Imperial German Stuff the market was getting a bit of pricing itself out of reach. Ironically my 1952 pattern stuff is worth more than the 3 sets of 37 pattern webb I have.
but the hunt and find is still aluring , and that deal that occasionaly is still found leads me to collecting.
Mark

Back