New website with lots of Pickelhauben

Truce1914

Thought some may be interested to know, there is a new website here in the UK with some very impressive and rare WW1 German headdress. I have been InTouch with the owner who says he is not even halfway through listing the collection, and is just listing it randomly as it comes out of the boxes.
link --

https://www.trophiesofwar.com/shop.php?ps=1

As mentioned by others, most of the items are very high priced, let alone if the price were in U.S. Dollars, which they are not.

Being that all prices on the dealer website are in Great Britain Pounds Sterling, with the bank exchange rate multiplying that by 1.32+ for just the "bank" rate which of course we as the general public in the USA cannot get, but more likely we would currently have to pay 1.40+ or maybe 1.42+ times for the math figure for the exchange rate for anyone in the USA. Yikes! 8-[

So, anything priced at 500 Pounds Sterling would most likely be at least $700 US Dollars or more. 2,000 Pounds Sterling would be $2,800+ US Dollars or more, etc. Then add on probably $100 or more to ship a helmet to the USA.

As the topic starter I feel I should play Devil's advocate. I agree there are some individual prices that are a bit surprising, but on the whole, I thought prices were comparable to "Age of Kings" and Regimentals, while less than Weizte. For example, there is a very nice Weimar 94.r priced at £2950, and a similar example at Age of kings for $3500. I also thought the Reserve 1st Batt 1st foot-Garde Officers Pickelhaube at £3500 was quite cheap.

Since the Michael Baldwin collection auctions, you will struggle here to get an E/M Pickelhaube with cover for less than £2000 , even in small auctions which these days all seem to be on-line. Not sure about the storage damage comment, but I will say, typically in the UK when Pickelhaube turn up from peoples houses, there are usually from lofts, cellars or sheds with verdigris and shrinkage. A lot of people prefer them to stay that way - takes 100 years to build up that patina, and a couple of hours to take it off.

I accept the current conversion rate, shipping etc can makes things too expensive, but it cuts both ways. I used to buy a lot from the States, but since the £ fell, now it is just not worth it. The shipping costs, then, even though you ask people to declare it a antique, the customs people here ignore it and add 20% on the item cost.

I have purchased a few pieces from this dealer, and he says the new site is going well. I have always found that he is willing to negotiate on prices when he can. If you look at the category, "Baden Pickelhauben", it is now all sold apart from the two pricey 109.r examples. I remember the 44 artillery uberzug was £1000, and the Baldwin 53.r was £1350, now both sold. Personally I look forward to see what else will be going on the site.

Back