New White Elephant for our house..

Larmo

Greetings All.

Just got this wonderful old clock off of the Big Bay and I was really pleased with it, and thought I'd share it with you all. The seller advertised it as Franco Prussian War but I think it may be a tad earlier because of the date of the clock. Eight socket bayonets were used to put this together, along with a steel casing shaped like an artillery shell. The face of the clock is hand painted porcelain and is wound with a key. One of the fun aspects of it's construction is the means they used to secure the metal pieces together. Original musket vent cones, or nipples were used, two screwed together to hold the bayonets to one another and to the shell and base. The brass emblem affixed to the top of the shell is a French Engineer/Pioneer Shako plate, circa 1837-1870 but without the bursting bomb & unit number. The clock weighs about 18 pounds and I placed our 109 Baden pickelhaube (my MAX Show scoop-deville) next to it for sizing. Terri even wanted it placed in the Living Room of all places :queen:, now it has a new home here in the desert.

Larry

clock1j.jpg
clock2g.jpg

clock3.jpg
clock5.jpg

clock4.jpg
clock6.jpg

Hi Larry,

Great clock, that's really neat. Congratulations also on aquiring the great Baden 109th at the Max Show. I was wondering who aquired this fantastic helmet, as it didn't last very long on the dealer's table. It was easily the "buy of the show" of all the spike helmets available, as for what it was priced on the dealer's table located not too far from your tables. You'll have to show everyone the unit markings on the underside of the back visor, which are really the "icing on the cake" for this piece. Congrats again on a couple of fantastic finds! =D>

All the Best,

Alan

thanks guys for your comments, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. I like the swords into plowshares aspect of it very much. There was a similar clock in a local gun auction about five years ago. Much more ornate with Chassepot bayonets sticking out all over. I was just being cheap and have kicked myself for letting it slip by. When I saw this one I had to have it.

Alan, the helmet was indeed a prize, and one I had been trying to find for some time. The best part was the man I purchased it from is a very good friend of mine, in fact, I often call him Uncle Bob. He lives about 250 miles from where we do, its crazy, we both had to travel 2000 miles to do the deal.

Maybe we can start a Baden thread, if there's not an existing one in the list already.

Cheers

Larry

Feel free Larry...I do not own one of those prized beasts from JR109. Sweet clock also and amazing construction.

Back