Newly acquired Prussian officer's pickelhaube

Lurch Adams

Hello,

Just recently received a Prussian officer's pickelhaube. The chin scales and two M1891 mounts are much smaller (20%-25%) than a "standard" pair (pre-1914?) chin scales. Can anyone please help identify the smaller chin scales? Might this be a train unit? I cannot discern the difference between rounded scales and line officer's scales.

Thank you,

Lurch

DSCN0056.jpg

DSCN0048.jpg

DSCN0051.jpg

DSCN0052.jpg

DSCN0053.jpg

DSCN0054.jpg

DSCN0055.jpg

I cannot discern the difference between rounded scales and line officer's scales.

Lurch -- I feel your pain! I found the best way to tell was to look at the rosettes.
Rosette

There are two basic types and they hold the key to determining if chin scales are curved (convex) or flat. Diameter supposedly 25mm. Round Rosettes are for flat chin scales and oval ones are for convex chin scales. Diameter supposedly 27mm.
off_13.jpg

off_14.jpg

Lurch Adams said:
// Can anyone please help identify the smaller chin scales? Might this be a train unit? I cannot discern the difference between rounded scales and line officer's scales. Thank you,

Chris, there is no 'unit specific' reason for the thinner chinscales; it may just have been what the helmet manufacturer did. Normally they are a bit wider but I see nothing wrong with those, in fact that is a very nice helmet. I can't tell if yours are flat, or curved, or something in between?

Thanks Tony. I appreciate your and Joe's guidance in learning how to discern "train" scales from line chin scales. Geez, these appear to be a rounded oval. Nothing is easy about this.

The edges of the scales appear to be rounded. Please advise.

Thank you again!

C.

DSCN0009.jpg

DSCN0011.jpg

DSCN0012.jpg

Back