Nice bavarian officer on Ebay

I seriously considered trying to buy this helmet until I asked for better photos.

I saw how the finish on the front and back visor is "alligator" bubbled up significantly. Seeing that that caused me to loose all interest in the helmet. If I'm going to pay the money for an officer helmet, I want it to be in great shape.

The mercury fire gilding is in great condition on the metal parts, however.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Hey, it ain't my helmet, I just thought it was a sharp lookin lid....

Sorry if you thought I was somehow inferring that it was your helmet. I was not implying that the helmet was your helmet. You had only posted that it was available on fleabay about an hour before the auction closed. Not sure how anyone could think it was your helmet at that point of time.

My point in my initial posting here was that I discovered the condition of the front and back visors, and that I chose not to pursue the helmet. The seller had some very strange downward looking angle photos of the helmet which he posted that rather hid the condition of the black finish on the front visor. I didn't fully realize this fact until I asked him to provide me with additional photos.

Last edited:
IMO someone got a great deal!

James

Yes, even when considering the alligator bubbling of the black finish on the front and back visors.

The helmet only needs a new set of chinscales for it, in order to make the helmet complete once again. (Or someone to repair the chinscale set presently on the helmet, if the set is able to be repaired or restored properly.)

Best Regards,

Alan

A little bit of black lacquer and a little bit of Hagerty Silver foam would make it look like a million bucks :)

Back