Nice Busby.

It's a very nice....REPRO busby.

I wanted to believe the one I have was real as well but when you get snookered you just suck it up and add it to the lesson learned column.

Save your money unless you want a nice repro.

John

Thanks for the opinions fella's. To be honest, I probably would'nt be able to tell, not from pictures anyhow. You guy's know more than me and therefore can discern things from photographs that I would miss. I've never handled one of these things so for this reason I would'nt dream of bidding for one. I would say that it looks a mite too 'clean' for something 100 years old. But he say's it's original.
Why not Otto, what do you look for on these, or is it instinct. And John, you sound certain it's repro.

Just goes to show the value of being a member here. Although I know zipo about busbies I would have done the same as you, asked those that do know.

If any guests are looking in ..let this be a lesson to you ... join a site that does know before buying!!!!

Mike,

To be honest, as I said, I would not pay those price's for a Militarpass. Even thouth it was a JzP. There were no awards or anything to dig deeper into.

If the price had been a lot lower I would have gone for it. The main thing is. Thanks for the heads up.

One of these days I'll share my Militarpass collection with the forum ... but it's not that easy to explain everything contained in over a 100 passes.

spikeymikey said:
Why not Otto, what do you look for on these, or is it instinct. And John, you sound certain it's repro.

Hi Mikey,

Like I always say, I am not an expert, I am very far away from that, but on those last two years as member of our forum, I learned a lot with the most experienced members. Besides having worked as antiquarian for all those years, I developed a type of sixth sense that helps me in the analysis of the materials used in the production of the most different items. In the case of the Busby, I think the used fourniture is not the one of the same type used at that time. The silk is different, almost that gives to feel the roughest texture than the original, I think the poor making, seems that lacks a " je ne sais pas quoi ". He is very clean, no matter how conserved it could be, it is very new.
Sixth sense, some acquired knowledge, feeling, instinct, several are the names that can be attributed. But I " felt ", as soon as I saw the picture, that he was not good.
Who knows I am a sensitive one :D ?

Otto

Mike Huxley said:
One of these days I'll share my Militarpass collection with the forum ... but it's not that easy to explain everything contained in over a 100 passes.

Why not make a web site Mike? That would be very interesting.

I like it.

Is it difficult to forge these things?
How do you get the opossum fur heron /vulture feathers etc. these days?

This officer may not have done much fighting (joke).

There is a SAXON HUSSAR busby on the www.derrittmeister.com web site. The liners look similar. The price is very high.

Can anyone tell if there is actually anything wrong with this busby?

Anthony

Who knows I am a sensitive one
Maysa knows and we have come to love our friend's great instinct!

I agree!!! \:D/

Can anyone tell if there is actually anything wrong with this busby?
Anthony I don't know anything about busby's but love your pluck! It would be great to learn what John says about this. Often Brad has keen insights on this kind of thing too. Good to have you wading in! :wav:

Well "the devils in the detail as they say" and this devil may be a fakeor it may well be the best preserved officer busby seen for sometime on e-bay.

I am keen for anyone to point out any obvious errors (innocent until proven gulity)

I dont know.

As these things command high prices the "stakes are high"

If it is a copy I would imagine it to be difficult to get opossum fur and the heron and vulture feathers? plus the busby bag and silk liners. Whilst they look newish are they actually incorrect. Has anyone here ever seen a copy of these type of busbies on ebay or anywhere else?

Ant

I think with this you need to get up close and feel and smell the thing. As you say Ant, the stakes are high - lets see what it fetches. I'll stick to the little leather jobs I guess.

The rosettes for the chinscales do not match. The thimble fror the feather busch is poorly constructed. The cloth liner should be finely ribbed silk, not smooth polished silk.

This is a high quality copy. Similar copies have been seen at major militaria shows in the U.S. to include the Baltimore Antique Arms show in Baltimore, Maryland and the MAX Show.

Reservist1

You can buy an officer's Pelzmütze made from opossum fur with heron and vulture feathers from Joerg Dehn in Germany. Here is the link, I don't know if he takes VISA. At least from Joerg you know what you are getting.

http://home.12move.de/home/joerg-dehn/Husarenmutzen/husarenmutzen.html

Tony & Kaiser said:

Well Tony, I've thought about doing just that for a long time. So many people are unaware of the details that can be gathered from such a small thing.

In many cases the explanation for enlarged holes in Haubes can be explained when you have this little book in front of you. If the guy was an unteroffiziere mit portapee and purchased his own helmet and then you see in his Militarpass that he had changed regiments .... then things can be explained.

Besides that, they are just a mine of information. I'll get around to it someday soon.

Back