Nice Souvenir Mail Home Gasmask & Can

ww1czechlegion

Here's a nice early gasmask & cannister that I picked up recently. I like the painted mail-home information on the lid of the cannister.

Chip has seen this on another forum, and says it is most likely a training gasmask, with the red color paint around the lenses. I think the translation of the ink stamp on the mask says that it was "recalled".

I am using the photos the seller provided, as I haven't taken new pics myself yet.

Best Regards,

Alan

Thanks Ron & James, I appreciate your nice comments!

I've always wanted a nice one for my collection, and count myself lucky with this one. :D

Best Regards,

Alan

RON said:
Nice one Al!
An early gasmask is on my list
Mine too, but this is one of the later Gummimasks, as it has the springs in the straps rather than the elastic straps. The canister is for the later Lederschutzemaske, but the papercloth strap on the canister are outstanding. The replacement lenses were used in the leather masks, as they did not have the fold that could be turned inward to wipe condensation off the lenses. The replacement lenses have a thin coating of gelatin on one side to absorb moisture to provide a clear view, but they would turn opaque when saturated, and for that reason they would carry spare replacement lenses. The label warns the user not to wipe the surface of the lenses as it will damage the gelatin coating.

By the way, I need to add that this is a very nice mask with history, and I did not intend to imply it was something less. I would love to have it in my collection, but I am a sucker for anything papercloth:)

As I recall, there were at least 3 German gas masks: the M1915, 1916 and 1917.
The first 2 were made of fabric and the last of leather.
If I'm correct, Al's mask would be an M1916 in a M1917 tin/canister.

Thanks Gus & Ron!

Yes, Ron, I think you are correct in your model designations for the gasmask & cannister. =D>

Best Regards,

Alan

Alan
That's beautiful but imo its a demo or training mask hence the condition, body material and ink stamping.

Eric

Back