Not an Imperial German Find, but an Imperial Find Nevertheless

HatEnjoyer

I have just received a new item in the mail, and although it’s not from the German Empire, I thought ya’ll might like to see it. I present to the members of this forum: a ground-dug cuff button from La Grande Armée’s 33rd Line Infantry Regiment.

The 33rd Line Infantry Regiment first saw action in 1797 as part of France’s Army of Italy and it would it see much more action in several major battles of the Napoleonic Wars, including the 1805 Battle of Austerlitz, where it would capture a Russian standard, the 1806 Battle of Jena-Auerstedt where it, as part of Davout’s III Corps, would help to fight off the main Prussian Army while the corps was outnumbered 2 to 1, and the 1812 Battle of Borodino, where it again, as part of Davout’s III Corps, would be in the thick of the fighting. Only a handful of the 3,500 man regiment would return from Napoleon’s disastrous campaign in Russia, although it would manage to muster enough men to fight at the Battle of Leipzig in 1813.

The button itself is perfectly flat (main characteristic of 1st Empire uniform buttons), made of brass, measures to about 17mm in diameter, and features an old birdcage style shank.

I’m looking to expand my Napoleonic Wars button collection, so stay tuned for more!IMG_0173.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0175.jpeg
    IMG_0175.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Thank you very much for your passion and efforts and welcome to the Forum :)
I like your article and look forward to read more interesting posts.

I have just received a new item in the mail, and although it’s not from the German Empire, I thought ya’ll might like to see it. I present to the members of this forum: a ground-dug cuff button from La Grande Armée’s 33rd Line Infantry Regiment.

The 33rd Line Infantry Regiment first saw action in 1797 as part of France’s Army of Italy and it would it see much more action in several major battles of the Napoleonic Wars, including the 1805 Battle of Austerlitz, where it would capture a Russian standard, the 1806 Battle of Jena-Auerstedt where it, as part of Davout’s III Corps, would help to fight off the main Prussian Army while the corps was outnumbered 2 to 1, and the 1812 Battle of Borodino, where it again, as part of Davout’s III Corps, would be in the thick of the fighting. Only a handful of the 3,500 man regiment would return from Napoleon’s disastrous campaign in Russia, although it would manage to muster enough men to fight at the Battle of Leipzig in 1813.

The button itself is perfectly flat (main characteristic of 1st Empire uniform buttons), made of brass, measures to about 17mm in diameter, and features an old birdcage style shank.

I’m looking to expand my Napoleonic Wars button collection, so stay tuned for more!View attachment 41736
You say ground dug, do you know where? Can you attribute it to a specific battle?

You say ground dug, do you know where? Can you attribute it to a specific battle?
Unfortunately, I do not know which battlefield this specific button was dug from. I suspect that it was dug in Russia or Spain, as many of these Napoleonic buttons are found in those countries. Based off the button’s style it can be determined that it is from the 1804-1814 time period, although I would be doubtful that this button was was dug at any 1813-14 battlefields because of they were devastated after the Russian campaign and only had a minor role at Leipzig. This time frame also means that this button was not found at Waterloo (they did not fight at Waterloo in the first place), or any Italian battlefields such as Rivoli, where they earned distinction for their brave action.

Last edited:
I have a good friend who collects British buttons a breast plates from those regiments which fought the US in 1812 and the Napoleonic Wars. Some of these buttons from rare regiments or specific battles sell for amazing amounts of money.

I have a good friend who collects British buttons a breast plates from those regiments which fought the US in 1812 and the Napoleonic Wars. Some of these buttons from rare regiments or specific battles sell for amazing amounts of money.
Indeed they do! It’s crazy to think that even the smallest of items can fetch the largest sums of money in this hobby. I hope one day I’ll stumble upon a real gem in this field, and really all the militaria fields that I collect. I’m on the younger side, so I still have a long collecting journey ahead of me!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your passion.
I have got a quit large (general)button collection my self. All nations, all services, any periode.
The most expensive button I ever saw was a 19 th century British railway button. I don't recall exactly the exact price, but I remember it would have represented a very nice pickelhaube! ;-)

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your passion.
I have got a quit large (general)button collection my self. All nations, all services, any periode.
The most expensive button I ever saw was a 19 th century British railway button. I don't recall exactly the exact price, but I remember it would have represented a very nice pickelhaube! ;-)
Thank you! That collection of yours must be an impressive sight. I adore my Napoleonic buttons don’t get me wrong, but at that point, I think I’d just choose the pickelhaube, depending on how nice of a pickelhaube we’re talking about of course. 😂

Great button, I love it (y)

I also love the Napoleonic period and to be honest it was probably my first love. I used to set up battles as a child and dream of one day going to Waterloo and Borodino. I've made it to Waterloo, and it was awesome walked around for hours and hours. I had a great time but my wife not so much. ;) Would still like to see Boridino but don't think it's a good idea. Who knows maybe someday things will change, I sure hope they will.

When I first started having my own money, I really wanted to buy original items but could never find anything and when I did it was too expensive for me at that time. Since then, I've had a few pieces in my hands but not knowing enough about being able to detect fakes I was uncomfortable and afraid making a very expensive mistake.

I do have a few pieces which were made for the Centennial celebrations in Germany which are still pretty cool. Ive never seen original versions of the things I have so I'm quite happy to have what I do. If I ever hit the lottery, it's off to France with a truck load of cash.(y)(y)

Great button, I love it (y)

I also love the Napoleonic period and to be honest it was probably my first love. I used to set up battles as a child and dream of one day going to Waterloo and Borodino. I've made it to Waterloo, and it was awesome walked around for hours and hours. I had a great time but my wife not so much. ;) Would still like to see Boridino but don't think it's a good idea. Who knows maybe someday things will change, I sure hope they will.

When I first started having my own money, I really wanted to buy original items but could never find anything and when I did it was too expensive for me at that time. Since then, I've had a few pieces in my hands but not knowing enough about being able to detect fakes I was uncomfortable and afraid making a very expensive mistake.

I do have a few pieces which were made for the Centennial celebrations in Germany which are still pretty cool. Ive never seen original versions of the things I have so I'm quite happy to have what I do. If I ever hit the lottery, it's off to France with a truck load of cash.(y)(y)
I too wish to visit some of the major battlefields of the Napoleonic Wars, and hopefully I'll make it to Borodino one day. Fortunately for me, I've always had the internet to help me research Napoleonic militaria, although there aren't many items in the field that I can afford 😂. I'm planning on acquiring an original First Empire sabre briquet soon, complete with all the correct maker's markings and inspection stamps, but I don't have a very stable income right now, so I'm slowly saving up.

A number of my friend's 1812 buttons were dug during the 1970-80's when the battlefields were unprotected. Other artifacts such as canon balls and the brass chest plates were found by divers. It is amazing to see what has survived.

Back