NOT WW1 TURKISH STEEL HELMETS

I was in Prague a few years ago and that city still has some lovely militaria shops and I wouldn't think of buying anything! So many rare and fascinating helmets and strangely everything was so affordable - in relative terms. I believe I saw two Turkish helmets during my trip. Imagine that!

Of course "Czech fakes" are notorious. You think these are bad, there was a cottage industry of fake German WWII paratrooper helmets. That has sort of lost steam as the fakes have been discovered.

Floyd Tubbs was a very nice guy and I met him a few times. He was one of the original helmet collectors but some of his research was a bit dubious - as noted in East German helmets where his descriptions are 100 percent wrong as well. As noted in another topic I think when he didn't know he guessed and stated theories as facts, which unfortunately is a trait many helmets collectors embrace (IMHO).

Tubbs did a wonderful job with what he knew but it is unfortunate that some of his theories were passed on. His original book has several fakes, but I still think Tubbs deserved credit for being the first.

I'll need to go through and see what Ludwig Baer has to say about the Turkish helmets.

Back