Off to the front with Field Cap, Torch, and Boot Knife !

Spike

137.jpg

Another super picture showing a soldier wearing pork pie cap, about to set off for the front with all his kit including a torch and yes a boot knife ! were all soldiers issued a torch ?

Another nice one Spike. I do not believe that the soldiers were isssued with flash light...private purchase. Note also the straps around the ankles of his boots. These were worn to help break in new boots. I have never seen a foto with boot knife. Brian

Hi Spike:

Is it possible to make out the regimental numbers on the trooper's shoulder straps? I noticed his Landeskokarde does not appear to be Prussian.

Very nice photo.

Chas.

Lost Skeleton said:
Hi Spike:

Is it possible to make out the regimental numbers on the trooper's shoulder straps? I noticed his Landeskokarde does not appear to be Prussian.

Very nice photo.

Chas.

Hi Chas,

I have zoomed in on the picture but could not see anything resembling a number the strap is just at the wrong angle, I have been able to make these numbers in some other pictures.Worth downloading any of these potrait photo's you find lot's on eBay and other sites then zooming in looking for states, regiments, bayonet types, trench knives etc.

Best Regards

Eddie

Brian

Here's another one for you. Check out this fellow's left boot. He has a nice new kompanie knot on his bayonet frog. Bayonet is a S98/05aAmS Butcher blade with sawback. And look at that filzhelm.

Always wondered what those straps were really for.

Geo

Worth downloading any of these potrait photo's you find lot's on eBay and other sites then zooming in looking for states, regiments, bayonet types, trench knives etc.
Spike,

I used to do that to but I found two better ways. I used to download an image and then zoom in Photoshop. I purchased a Microsoft wireless laser mouse that has a built-in magnifier. You press a button on the mouse and it gives you a five times magnification on the screen without any manipulation of the file. You can do that on any thing that the mouse points to. For instance a picture within a Word document you can zoom in on using the mouse.

The beta version of Internet Explorer seven has a built-in zoom tool. This allows you to automatically zoom in on any webpage. No need to download and it is any window opened in the Explorer. Really helps when looking at postcards to buy etc.

Back