Officer, 2nd Guard Regiment of Foot

Bungo

Hi all,

Here is my latest arrival: an officer's pickelhaube from the 2nd Guard Regiment of Foot.

In good condition, except that the spike is slightly leaning to the left.

Cheers,

Bungo

And added to the collection. It's small, and grows very gradually, but I love every single one of them!

everyone's collection was once smal
but it never stay's that way
nice ones by the way

jonas

poniatowski said:
Nice addition and quite a superb collection! Is that the Minicraft Titanic?

:D Ron

Ron, there is an extraordinary story to that Titanic model. I have always been fascinated by the Titanic since I was about 5 years old. In 1980, when I was 7, there was a competition run by a newspaper in Sydney where kids could write in and the paper would "make your dreams come true". I wrote in that I would like to meet a survivor of the sinking of the Titanic.

I won the competition, and I got to attend the Australian premiere of the 1980 movie "Raise the Titanic" with an 80-odd year old gentleman called William Hall. After the film, I was presented with that built model. I've cherished it ever since.

About 2005 I read William Hall's obituary. It turns out that he was a chronic liar, and had infamously dined out for years claiming that he had survived the Titanic. Cheeky old bugger! :) It explained why I could never find his name on any of the passenger lists or lists of those rescued.

Just goes to show, do your research in every field of life, there are always frauds out there, not just in the field of collecting pickelhauben! :D

Those are some excellent helmets you have there.

The late Mr. Hall is discussed here...
http://members.iinet.com.au/~jaguar888/#Survivor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great collection.
Love them all, also the ship.
I recently sold my gendarme à pied and regretted ever since, so that one needs to be replaced.
I am also in to ship lines, so the White Star line is part of it.

pointystuff said:
Those are some excellent helmets you have there.

The late Mr. Hall is discussed here...
http://members.iinet.com.au/~jaguar888/#Survivor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for finding that link, Pointystuff! That's the chap. Amusing.

And thanks for the feedback people. Damn, I love this forum.

Great Guard ,the feuervergoldung is superb ,and the enamel disc still intact ; nice helmet ! :thumb up:

Great helmet Bungo! You've got your Garde officer now, what's next? I am thinking by your collection photo perhaps Baden or Saxon officer? :) Good to hear you are enjoying the forum......an international collection of Haube Addicts! It's a support group really but one with no intention of rehabilitation.

While we are not on the titanic Janet and I are cruising around Australia headed for Melbourne . The gods of timing have ruled that we will not be able to see this fine collection. However, it is not the fault of Dave and his lovely wife. They have been most generous even though all I wanted to do was pinch this helmet! They are very warm Australians!

b.loree said:
Great helmet Bungo! You've got your Garde officer now, what's next? I am thinking by your collection photo perhaps Baden or Saxon officer? :) Good to hear you are enjoying the forum......an international collection of Haube Addicts! It's a support group really but one with no intention of rehabilitation.

Those two are definitely on my wish list - well guessed! I'm terribly keen to pick up an officer's metal kurassier helmet, that is my next ambition.

Yes, it's a pity that Joe and I couldn't meet up, a dinner discussing pickelhaubes would have been fascinating (perhaps less so for our respective partners!). Definitely another time :)

Back