Officer and OR's Kokarden

RON said:
There are photos of a fake Reichs cockade I once bought & returned here:
http://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6091" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They look good to me at first sight but I am sure that you are right that they are fake. It would therefore be very informative to have a good comparison of a fake and original cockade.

Best regards,

Edwin

Back in 1992 or so, there was a fellow in the northeastern part of the U.S. who supposedly had a set of original dies for stamping Kokarden.

Hi Gents,
Here is my small contribution to this very interesting post:

First, a set of cockades worn on my M95 Mecklenburg-Strelitz GR89 II Bataillon Mannschaft helmet (same as on Mecklenburg-Schwerin helmets):

Then a set of cockades from my saxon M95 Tr.A.12 helmet, vulkan fiber war production. Those cockades are made of very thin tin-plate metal:

And last but not least, a very interesting combination, a Portepee-Unteroffizier Reichs-cockade and a Württemberg Offizier state cockade, worn on the same helmet (!), a PB13, GR119 or GR123 haube, which wearer was an Portepee-Unteroffizier der Reserve in peace time (probably a one year volunteer who did not get his Offizier Patent) and who passed to an Offizierstellvertreter during the war, because of great loss of officers during the first months of the war. Both cockades are mounted on german silver M91 side posts, under the typical M15 officer chinscales. Note that the cardboard discs have been originally removed from the back of both cockades, to reduce the extrem tightness between chinscales and side posts.

Philippe

Something that I ran into on a Wurtt private purchase OR helmet with an officer liner and M91 chin scales...the kokarden were non removable. The M91 posts had been put on over the kokarden so they could not be taken off. Has anyone else seen this done?

Thanks R1. The helmet I was refering to was exactly like that. The only difference was that it had a private purchase round base spike not cruciform.

Then there is this piece of that puzzle.
http://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7364" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As posted elsewhere, this nice Uffz. mit Portepee Reichs Kokarde will complete/correct the only "colonial" helmet I could afford from Tony Cowan, namely a Kaiserliche Schutzmannschaft Polizeiwachtmeister (Imperial Constabulary Police Sergeant-Major) Pickelhaube M1895 that I was able to clearly identify with the help of Glenn and Joe:

GermanReichsInfantryNCOPickelhaubeKokardeCockadeM1891_zpsc129162d.jpg

Standard Mannschaften Kokarden; they fit the M91 Knopf properly, have the correct size and colour and don’t light up under ultraviolet light (not sure if that’s relevant). They even have the lip around the centre hole as if it was punched out from the backside.

They are however made from some sort of plastic (light and flexible), that has been chromed or nickelled (visible where the paint has chipped off), then painted black, and finally painted red and white.

Don’t know whether these are light-weight originals, ersatz or elaborate fakes.

Lars

View attachment 2
View attachment 1

My first reaction is that these are "resin" copies and are thus fakes. The edges of these things are soft and rounded, they lack definition like originals. The colouring though is quite good.

b.loree said:
My first reaction is that these are "resin" copies and are thus fakes. The edges of these things are soft and rounded, they lack definition like originals. The colouring though is quite good.

Casting in resin and electroplating is not beyond the reach of home hobbyists. The question is, why plate them and not just paint them, if they're just for show as temporary replacements?
You are right on with the colors looking very nice. I bought a helmet once with RTV (Room Temp. Vulcanizing) rubber fakes on it, but otherwise the helmet was good. An easy fix. Unfortunately, I threw those out.

:D Ron

interesting topic, found this for sale Ad in the Spring 1975 issue of Kaiserzeit, selling rubber air brushed setts of kokarden...

James

these two came attached to an OR's M1915 helmet, what type of helmet would they suite?
They are essentially standard OR's cockades with the addition of a disc which would have been maybe silver washed when new?

Regards
Andy

Back