Officer spikes/trichters?

Jeff R

I've followed some of the convos re: how hard matching EM trichters/haarbusch are, but wanted to tap this group's wisdom re: c1910-1914 officers fittings. Were the threads relatively standard? If a fella wated to add a trichter/haarbusch to an officer helmet, would that be a fool's errand or a reasonable idea?

(Bonus question - any thoughts on ballpark reasonable price ranges for nice quality dragoon/chevauleger officer trichters/haarbusch these days?)

Thanks!

Hi Jeff

Just to share my experience on the forum, I have it has some reasonnable chance to match
Indeed, I am looking for spike for my Garde Dragonner Helmet and I used a spike from another helmet of my collection to display that garde helmet and it was fitting directly.

Kind regards

Hi Jeff

Just to share my experience on the forum, I have it has some reasonnable chance to match
Indeed, I am looking for spike for my Garde Dragonner Helmet and I used a spike from another helmet of my collection to display that garde helmet and it was fitting directly.

Kind regards
Thanks Meme! I played musical-spikes with three officer helmets, and they seemed to swap just fine - although got tight about halfway screwed in, and I did not push it. Have any other members had luck with replacing spikes/trichters on officer-grade helmets?

Jeff

As a collector of 40+ years, I chose early on to buy officer spike bases missing their spike tops in the hope of finding replacements. I have been lucky in finding tops that did fit. In fact at the last SOS I bought a top brought it home and it did screw into one of my last remaining bases. Out of the 6 purchased through the decades, including a cruciform base, I have one incomplete base left. However, it has a smaller threaded hole than normal. So it can be done but one has to be patient. As a restorer, I always buy officer fittings if the price is reasonable. I would also add just to support what has been said, there was no standard threading on these spikes so one size does not fit all. This also applies to M91 posts, I have a Baden M95 helmet which needs a strap, the one spare original strap I have will not fit over the posts. :( If I were buying a trichter I would also keep this in mind....there is no guarantee of a fit.

Back