Offizierstellvertreter Pickelhaube? Needing your opinion!

Well, I´m glad to see that my modest early officer helmet has contributed to such passionate comments! Thank you for helping me to understand this find.
Dave, thank you :salute: especially for the information about the issue of the 51mm old pattern officer cockade in 1867 . It makes also sense for me now, that the silk liners were very probably first issued post 1890, and not 1880.
Let´s now resume: this Pickelhaube could not has been worn by an Offizierstellvertreter, because this rank has not formally existed before the great war. (Thank you Joe :D ).
An NCO Portepee Unteroffizier could even not has been the wearer ( with this cockade at this time possible, but because of the officer stars NOT POSSIBLE [-X ).
Ok, only one solution: officer helmet. And if I´m not completely illogical, this helmet must then has been worn sometime beetween 1887 and 1897?... 8-[ . If not, then when?
Only one more question: what is the reason that such helmets have been called "Model 1871" if they first were introduced in 1887???? :dontknow:

Merry Christmas to all of you!! :santa:

Philippe

Philippe:

After reading your comments concerning the 1871/1887 dates, I re-read (ie. re-translated) the info on the various AKOs I had and am providing a couple of corrections. Sorry I confused you, but I obviously was confused too!

1867 - For infantry, the cruciform spike was changed to a plain round spike for both officers and other ranks. Also, the front peak was rounded for infantry, with a metal trim, the rear spine was no longer used and "slots and lugs" were used to hold the front plate.

1871 - The rear spine is re-instituted and the plate was afixed with screws and nuts, for both officers and other ranks.

1887 - Several changes to other ranks helmets happens including losing the front metal trim, losing the perlring on the spike base, and the chinscales were replaced with a leather chinstrap attached by an elongated hook on the sides. The big deal (and my bad translation problem) is there are no changes to the 1871 pattern style for officers, and other than changes in the shape of the helmet body, the 1871 style stays pretty much intact until 1918 for officer helmets...

Now, this doesn't change the dates when the cockades were utlized as before, but with the corrected dates, there is more of a probability that the silk liners could have come into fashion in the 1880s, as Larcade stated. So, it would make sense that your helmet was manufactured between 1871 and the early 1880s

Regards

Dave

Back