Offz pickelhaube with silver eagle

Frozzer

Hi

Can you help me with ID this pickelhaube?

It has got an silver offz eagle, also spike and other brass elements was silver plattered

only chinstrap looks like to be gold

there is a name and regiment on neck visor.

maybe You can identify the unit?

thanks

Photos are here

http://tufotki.pl/IfxMH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It appears to be a Prussian Pioneer Fähnrich helmet. It has officer Kokarden, but the rest of the helmet is enlisted private purchase. I have a similar Fähnrich Pioneer from Saxony.

John :)

My suspecting was also for Pioneer. Thanks.
Do you know what means D. E. R. P. 7 on neck visor?
P 7 is probably for pioneer 7 regiment. but the rest letters?

or maybe I was wrong in reading.?

I would like to point out, that in my opinion, the wappen belongs to an Ulan officer tschapka, it is not Pioneer which have the typical infantry style eagle but in silver. The key is in the lower breast feathers which overlap in a "V" as we see in this wappen (Ulan). The Prussian infantry and pioneer do not have this "V". Consequently, in my opinion, the helmet is pioneer but the wappen is an original Ulan officer replacement, which was put on there, to match the neusilber fittings on the helmet. The helmet was missing a wappen so they put on one which matched the rest of the fittings.

b.loree said:
I would like to point out, that in my opinion, the wappen belongs to an Ulan officer tschapka, it is not Pioneer which have the typical infantry style eagle but in silver. The key is in the lower breast feathers which overlap in a "V" as we see in this wappen (Ulan). The Prussian infantry and pioneer do not have this "V". Consequently, in my opinion, the helmet is pioneer but the wappen is an original Ulan officer replacement, which was put on there, to match the neusilber fittings on the helmet. The helmet was missing a wappen so they put on one which matched the rest of the fittings.

Interesting point but......

I do not have a lot of Officer helmets but plenty of EMs

I have a Prussian Off Uhlan (gilted brass ), Pioneer , Arty , 1870 style and a Currsier

The Uhlan ( brass) and Pioneer have the V style breast feathers you are talking about and the rest have the 3 feather pointed set up.

So maybe the Pioneer and Uhlan wappens have something in common with those breast feathers.

I never would have noticed.

Thanks for pointing that out.

pickelhauben said:
b.loree said:

Interesting point but......

I do not have a lot of Officer helmets but plenty of EMs

I have a Prussian Off Uhlan (gilted brass ), Pioneer , Arty , 1870 style and a Currsier

The Uhlan ( brass) and Pioneer have the V style breast feathers you are talking about and the rest have the 3 feather pointed set up.

So maybe the Pioneer and Uhlan wappens have something in common with those breast feathers.

I never would have noticed.

Thanks for pointing that out.

I have a Prussian train officer with the same "V" style feathers. I actually assumed that it was simply a matter of preference on officer private purchase helmets.

I mentioned that I have a Fähnrich helmet like the one you have pictured, except from Saxony. You can see that mine has a ring instead of the dart and egg pearl ring, and studs instead of stars:

UEywgR9.jpg

John :)

Nice helmet John.....your visor trim is also OR's width which matches the rest of your fittings. I am going to check my PB 29 helmet and take a close look at the wappen. Perhaps I am wrong here.

Hoping this works.
This is the Wappen from my Enlisted Pioneer (PB9) helmet.
t056xi.jpg

If interested photo is posted via tinypic.com

Brian ;
IMO
the eagle is too large for a Uhlan plate
anyway the spike should not be brass ?

Steve

KAGGR#1 said:
Brian ;
IMO
the eagle is too large for a Uhlan plate
anyway the spike should not be brass ?

Steve

Steve, I think the spike is silver. The photographs make it look like brass.

John

Spike and toher elemens was silver platered. but almost 90% of silvering is missing... Probably it ws polished by someone and thats why is removed.

Back