Oil-Painting of WI and patriotic photo of WII with lovely frame

Sandmann

Dear forum-members,
I‘d like to share my 2 latest additions to my collection…
The first is a beautiful oil painting (50x70cm) of Emperor Wilhelm I., painted in 1887 by court photographer and artist Johann Friedrich Jamrath.
It needs to be cleaned, but I'm sure it will look great afterwards. I bought this because it fits perfectly in a damaged frame I salvaged years ago and which is topped with the Prussian crown. Since then I've been waiting for the right picture for it, because the damaged oil print is not what I imagine for such a nice frame. So I am very much looking forward to seeing both restored.
C366C76C-D692-440E-B53F-8A7BD04C7ACE.png7C2A571D-A3CE-4382-A27C-9251A5D0CA0B.jpeg
The 2nd is a framed photograph of Kaiser Wilhelm II. with an impressive crown fitting on it (70x45cm). I could imagine it was made in 1888, the year of his coronation, or around 1890, but I couldn't find the photo by the court photographer "Gebrüder Engelhardt und Schiller" to assess it definitively. The fitting looks like old brass, but it has been sold as zinc injection molding. Anyway, I don't want to take it off the frame or scratch it as it looks beautiful in both cases, so the material doesn't matter.
137B0A9E-097F-437F-9027-9EF36B8CC31A.jpeg
Hope you‘ll love it like I do.
Thanks 🤩

Last edited:
Congrats, excellent find. Hope you post “after” photos are restored.
Cheers,
Dennis

The top picture Wilhelm1 and bottom one of Wilhelm II are really good. congratulations you must be really pleaeed I know I would be:)

Dear friends,
it took nearly one year and I paid as much for the restoration as I paid for the painting, but today I got my Kaiser Wilhelm I. painting with the crowned frame back. The long waiting time was worth every second, the restorer did a phenomenal job.
When she sent me pictures of the painting after removing the varnish, I thought the money was wasted. But this result is stunning and I am very happy with it. Christmas starts great for me this year 🎅 Merry Christmas🎅🤩
2041C2F6-47B7-4697-992D-AD90B776F491.jpegFCF151EB-6E60-4D0A-BCA4-FBA2041E5682.jpeg

Night and day difference.
Literally . The untouched has darkened to look like night and the restored looks like day
The frame looks fantastic.
Money well spent indeed.

Last edited:
Back