Old men and children

joerookery

By the end of the war Imperial Germany had only the dregs of society to send to the front. Old men and children were the best they could muster. In this example there is a very old man with a brain the size of a small rodent or a very young child. Sad.

polishgd-1.jpg

That is a photo of my Great Granpa Gustav, he was not 56 when this photo was taken, and it was his small brain that had kept him out of the war to that point
Best
Gus

What Joe is not telling you, is that this is a real period postcard that I sent to him, I did not notice he looked a little like me.
Best
Gsu

Gustaf said:
What Joe is not telling you, is that this is a real period postcard that I sent to him, I did not notice he looked a little like me.
Best
Gsu

I know that's a real post card...This reinforces my statement!

I honestly thought it was one of those re-enactor bozos for a second. Apologies to any re-enactor bozos, no offence intended.

Thanks Brett, that is actually a bozo, I recently set up a dispay at the Utah Gun Collector's Association gun show in Ogden, Utah. The club judges displays and table holders in period dress. I always attend the show when I display, in period dress, it help connect me to the display.

My display managed to get 2nd place, and in the judging for costume, I knew that I was up against some tough competition, The fellow who has taken first prise for the past few shows, has hand made his entire Revolutionary War uniform, and I knew that I did not have a chance against him, unless I did something special.

I filled my pockets with period items, Maggie baked me several rye bread roll, which I wrapped in a 1915 dated German newpaper (a reproduction I printed on news print after scanning). As I explained my uniform to the judges, I removed the coins, matches, spork, grenades and this posta card that I had made for the ocasion (explaining to the judges that it was taken behind the front, and I was sending it to my wife, who baked the rye bread) at this point I removed the rye rolls, and handed each judge one (each wrapped in their own newspaper) and then pulled my bayonet out and cut mine open to make a sandwitch (which I eat as I finished my talk). I do not know how much the judges understood of my talk, as I gave it in German, but it must have worked as I walked away with the $100 prize for best presentation. Oh, and the water in my water bottle did not taste that good, I did shake the dead bugs out before I filled it.
Best
Gsu

Well don't I feel like a silly bugger :D I thought Joe was being particularly harsh on the poor fellow in the picture, after all, he was probably a veteran of the 1870 war with France.

Well done on your second place Gus, sounds like the competition was tough.

Brett

P.S. Hope I wasn't outta line with that crack about "bozo".

Hey Brett,
Joe was being harsh on the fellow int he photo, and bozo was a very good assesment of the photo, and I am sure Joe and Otto will back you up on that.
This is my 2nd place display
july2010207.jpg

I was shooting for grand prize, but that will have to wait until January, then in March I will try for 1st place.
Best
Bozo Gus

I'm impressed. Are they the Sideshow Bayonets & Barbed Wire figures Gus and where'd you get the miniature Kraus book? ;)

Seriously - the other guy must have had a kick-ass display to beat that.

The first place display must have, this 2nd Place display is kick-ass also!

Great job Gus. Is that Otto up there?

It would rule if you could have some one tape your presentation and post it on Youtube next time!

Great job on a great display! :bravo:

Hey Guys,
The judging is based on the NRA rules of display, and the top 5 displays were all within a few points of each other, my mistake was that I did not have period photos to back up the display (I thought the reference books would cover that, but I need a period photo of each uniform to have displayed by each)

and yes Geo, that is Otto in the Italian uniform.

Hey Peirre, my collections room is about 3m. by 3m. it gets a bit crouded when they are all home.

Best
Gus

Back