old picture

J.LeBrasseur said:
Great picture, pics with camo helmets are very hard to find.

James
Actually, the photos of Germans captured in the last months of the war, there are more camo helmets than you can shake a stick at. The camo helmets were different than the gray ones, and they were souvenired more because of that.

Yes camo helmets and artillery but....a Brit tank in the background? Perhaps taken during the last German offensive Spring 1918 ?

I believe the MkIV in the background was never out of British hands. Probably donated post WWI to Belgium. It's in wonderful condition inside and out. Also, there's a 'Whippet' near it that was hit and burned... but cosmetically restored.
I love those 'dazzle' camouflage schemes. They're so outrageous, but actually did break up outlines of equipment.

:D Ron

I've heard that the Belgian government asked the allied countries to donate equipement and uniforms for the museum. The English donated the MkIV along with the uniforms.

There were also Belgian teams, after the end of WW1, who went looking all over the country for stuff to place in the museum. That's why there are so many great pieces in the museum.

I think Brian meant that there was a British MkIV in the background in the period photo. I could be wrong, and I don't mean to speak for Brian, but I too noticed there is a British tank in the background as the Germans are advancing.

Brian gave the answer to his question, but ,could it also be one of these ;
The Germans were always the best in camouflage.

That is a very cool picture Ed and yes, I was commenting on the Brit tank seen in the background of the first picture.

Back